starting problem

DOUBLE NICKEL

My 95 12 valve only starts when it feels like it. Sometimes I get in it and it cranks right up, others there is just a click. Thought it might be the starter but it is only 6 months old and if I thought if a starter go's out its out? And sometimes I can crawl under the truck and start it at the starter and sometimes it won't even start then. When it won't start it does not turn over, there is just a click. Any ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks.

sounds like the field windings in the starter are intermittentally shorted to ground. so all the current that should be flowing through the field windings to create the magnetic fields to turn the armature is just flowing through the case and back to the battery through the block. also there could be something wrong with the control circuit thats intermittent. next time it wont start try tapping the starter with a hammer while someone is bumping the key. if all of a sudden it starts to turn over its a good bet the field windings are shorted. the click you are hearing is probly the starter pinion engaging the flywheels ring gear. which means the control circuit and solenoid are doing their jobs correctly if thats the case. only way to diagnose it is to do a couple voltage drops and see how much current the starter is pulling to try to turn. if its an A$$ load then the windings are shorted to ground. If its barely anything, then their is excessive resistance in the wiring or starter somewhere, which you would find with the voltage drops. hope all this helps...

I have tried taping the starter while trying to start it and that didn't do anything. Would just putting a whole new starter on solve this? Or if its in the wiring would I just be spinning my wheels?

Thanks for the help.

Had this problem with mine and it was the contacts inside the solenoid that were all but burnt off. I got a set of heavy duty contacts from Larry B's and have had no more trouble.

I know a guy here local that will rebuild a starter for $20 bucks. He would be able to fix this problem correct?

Had this problem with mine and it was the contacts inside the solenoid that were all but burnt off. I got a set of heavy duty contacts from Larry B's and have had no more trouble.

How hard is this to do? And how much?

Double Nickle, you are not that far away from me. If you want to pull your starter and give me a call I will do it for you or walk you through it. I keep the kits in stock. The hardest part is the R&R of the starter.

Double Nickle, you are not that far away from me. If you want to pull your starter and give me a call I will do it for you or walk you through it. I keep the kits in stock. The hardest part is the R&R of the starter.

Great thanks. It will be saturday till I can get to it and get the starter off, I'm hoping this is even the problem. Where abouts are you?

Had the same problem with my truck, there was barely anything left of my contacts. If I can find them I'll get a picture of them and post them up later tonight.

Sunday is a no go for me. Church and family day.

Same here but I'm gonna have to get to it after church, never have time during the week. I'm mainly just gonna get it pulled and take a look at it and see if the contacts are bad, then go from there, its not my daily driver so no hurry. Thanks again.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures, can't find the camera. If you want me to I'll try and locate the camera and get some better pictures of them. So I forgot, only one of my contacts were bad , the other one had normal lookin wear. The first picture is of the "good" one the second picture is of the toasted one and the last picture is of both of them next to one another. The contact kit that I ordered from Genos Garage has over size contacts and I haven't had a problem since putting them in. Hardest part of doing the whole job was pulling and reinstalling the starter.

Attachments

• 0305101359.jpg
    0305101359.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 0305101359a.jpg
    0305101359a.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 0305101400.jpg
    0305101400.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 8
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures, can't find the camera. If you want me to I'll try and locate the camera and get some better pictures of them. So I forgot, only one of my contacts were bad , the other one had normal lookin wear. The first picture is of the "good" one the second picture is of the toasted one and the last picture is of both of them next to one another. The contact kit that I ordered from Genos Garage has over size contacts and I haven't had a problem since putting them in. Hardest part of doing the whole job was pulling and reinstalling the starter.

Thanks, those pics will do. You can definatly tell the difference. I will let yall know what I find when I tear into it on sunday afternoon.
Thanks again for the help guys.

clean your battery terminal connections.... pop the cover off your fuse box and make sure u got 12v to the pcm.... when mine was doin that, my driver's pos side battery cable managed to get coroded to h#ll

clean your battery terminal connections.... pop the cover off your fuse box and make sure u got 12v to the pcm.... when mine was doin that, my driver's pos side battery cable managed to get coroded to h#ll

I've checked the terminals and cleaned them. Have not checked the voltage to the pcm...ill check that out too. Thanks