Steed speed vs stainless diesel manifold

cumminsrulez

Ok guys. I know this has been cover a few times. I've been going back and forth between building a manifold, buying a ats big foot, or going all out and getting a t4 SD or steed. I figured it may be time to pony up the cash and buy a manifold. Being this is the last manifold I'll probably buy for the life of the truck i want to get a good one first.

But every thread I've found on this topic has turned into a pissing match. I'm not worried so much about what manifold makes peak power. This is my dd, i wanna hear some results on spool characteristics. How has your stock manifold compared to the SD or steed. Or a comparison of any manifold really. I've called and talked to both companies. They both seem top notch and really friendly to talk to. I want to run my external gate which pushes me towards the steed, but a few peoples reviews of the SD manifold have raved about the better spool characteristics over stock (and i could simply run a gate plate). I have heard a little bad about both, steed coating peeling (which seems to be fixed) and SD manifolds bolt holes to the had not being quite right. But i wanna hear your guys thoughts. Obviously i probably couldn't go wrong either way. I guess i just need sometime to push me and to take the leap in one direction. So lets hear it

Flip a coin you won't be sorry either way! Stainless does hold the heat better which translates to better spool but a 1/2 second faster isn't going to matter on a DD. The steed wastegate mount is awesome to have. So flip a coin!

There us so many options though haha, i want both to test back to back honestly. But funds won't allow that..

I've ran all 3 that you mentioned. Didn't care for the ATS. The stainless is very nice and now on my 6.7 and I run a steed on the puller which is very nice. I prefer the steed due to options they offer. Just my .02

If you need a e-gate, it seems a no-brainer on which one to get.

After talking to Taylor Manning, and Leen at steed i think I'm gunna go with a t4 steed stock angle with the inverted gate port. Also will be picking up a turbosmart hyper gate to go on it and sell my manifold and wastegate setup.

I would suggest you look up a post by Ryan Millikan at about the benefit of the steed speed wategate port ( the pros and cons) google hardway performance. It was very informative post and info with real world data provided. Just food for thought.

Last edited:
I was not aware of the fix but it was accurate info the Ryan put out at that time.

I have read the mentioned article by Ryan. And spoke with Leen at steed (great guy btw) and he mentioned the new design goes right to the valve face. And i will be running a gate so itll still be divided.

Also have 5x.018s in the works...so it'll be a busy tax return haha

I have a Super B Special which is 64.5/71/14 on my truck. When I had the stocker it wouldnt even try to spool until around 2300 rpm, I bought a stainless diesel manifold and now she starts to spool around 1500 rpm thats with my manifold and turbo in twin position. This was before the compounds.

'07 Ram 3500 QCLB 4x4 5.9 Cummins
64.5/71/14 over a 75/86/91, Hamilton 103# Valve Springs, Arp Headstuds, Arp Injectorstuds, Hamilton Extremeduty Pushrods, GDP Fuel Boss, EFI Live, ATS Dual CP3, Exergy 150% Injectors, Rotating Assembly Balanced at 5k RPM, Valair Dual Disk Clutch (upgrade soon), AutoMeter Gauges and a heavy right foot.