Steering boxes

p7100

Swedish
Are there any steeringboxes from newer dodges which has any advantages over the old ones which i have in my -95?
Of course it must fit in the frame and big plus if my oie pitman arm would fit.
Thinking of less turns side to side, less play and so on.

redhead steering and gear I just bought one for my 99 just waiting for it to get here damn holidays lol.

I hear a lot of good things about the Redheads but I have no experience with them. I do however run a Borgeson box and shaft on my 98, it tightened up the play, less turns lock-lock, smoother and easier to turn the wheel too. I'd be hard pressed to try anything else if I had to do it again. Worth the bux for me.

I'm running a borgeson box on my 98. Havent really drove it much yet but the box, shaft and 99 HD style steering makes the truck feel like your driving a sports car vs. the old sloppy junk that was on it. Pretty much no play, and a quicker ratio like you are looking for

500 for a steering box? What's a regular replacement box running now?

Like 169 at napa..

I have a 3 year old redhead and she leaks a bit if you leave it at a 1/4 turn to the left.. heard borgeson has warranty issues if you have a gear box issue but can't say firsthand.

Yea, my price at Napa was $150, made the decision between a Borg box and a Napa box very easy.

I should add that my Borgeson box was bought brand new for $350 I think, from someone who bought it and sold the truck before install. And it replaced a parts store box that worked great for maybe 2k miles before getting just as sloppy as the factory core that came off. This was with a steering box brace also. Hopefully the Borgeson box doesn't have the same issue

I bought a Redhead for my '90 Dodge and am completely satisfied. The gear was $276 plus $65 shipping and a core charge of about $150. Redhead also pays the return shipping for the core, if you have one. I opted for the quick ratio gear; 15:1 as opposed to the factory 18:1 ratio. Which only reduced the turns to full lock from 4 to 3.5 rotations. No real reason for the choice but it does "react" faster, of course. When speaking with one employee, he suggested that if you have a tire considerably larger than stock, stay with the factory ratio. I also ditched the factory steering shaft and coupler in favor of a Borgeson shaft. Everything is smooth and solid.

I had Borgeson steering gear on the list for the longest time until I read that some of them leak from day 1.

Last edited:
I've got the Borg box on mine. I did that at the same time I did the Carli suspension, and the steering box by far was the most noticeable upgrade. I'd do it again for sure. It wasn't $500 when I bought it though.

Yeah much money isn't it but the play in the steering is very boring to have.
Yes of course if the box has been on the truck since it was new it by all means needs to be adjusted but the quick ratio gear would be a dream to have.

Back