Steering question

cumminspower09

I have some major play in my steering...someone told me there was a set screw on top of the gear box that will tighten it up. Anyone got any input

There is a screw with a jamb nut on top of the box. Loosen the nut and turn screw clockwise. Be careful only turn the screw a little at a time until you like the way the gearbox feels. It is easy to get the gearbox too tight.

once she starts getting loose like that start planning on a new box within about 6 months to a year.....

Dang. I learn something everyday. I NEED to do this. I feel like I'm driving a school bus sometimes as much as my steering wheel travels back and forth. I think my stabalizer is shot as well so I may have a few more things to do. Thanks for the info! :D

5/8 nut and a 1/4 allen IIRC, go in 1/4 turn increments cuz it tightens up FAST.

cumminspower09 said:
One more question...what stabilizer would you recommend to tighten things up a bit??

I second that. Mine has a big dent in it.

I usually buy a decent one, but not to costly, they never live more than 6 months or so before something beats the hell out of it.

I put the dual steering stablizer kit by skyjacker on my truck and it completely cleaned up the skip in the front end when i hit pot holes on the road. I love it and it was cheap. I payed only a little over one hundred dollars from Advance Auto Parts for mine and it worked great until my weights fell off and ruined them. It was a good investment i thought.

Alright...thanks I'll check into that. It looks like I have a little work ahead of me. Big thanks to all of you for the input:bow:

Back