Stock ’02 Cummins Underrated?

97rattlebox

I recently took my brothers ’02 dualie (standard 5.9 5-speed) to the dyno and put down 195 rwhp and 564 lb-ft. To my knowledge, the truck only has an AEM intake and 4-inch exhaust. But, while 195 sounds about right, the factory torque rating on these engines was 460 at the crank, right? I'm just wondering if, like a lot of the 12 valves (that I've heard of), these engines were underrated from the factory?

I also know every dyno is different. Maybe the truck was loaded down well... Does 195 rwhp sound a little high too? I wonder if there could be a set of mystery injectors on the truck?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

195 is too low. that truck should be around 245 stock.

Anyone correct me if im wrong.

I think they are rated at 235hp stock, that would be at the flywheel though. So losing 40 horse to the wheels sounds pretty accurate.

My 2002 is the HO, rated at 245 from the factory... everywhere I have read about 192 hp at the wheels is what they put down stock. So 195 with an intake and exhaust sounds right to me.

My H.O. did 234hp with simply a BHAF, 4inch straight pipe and plugged wastegate this first time I dynoed it. I was very suprised to see it so close to the advertised HP rating with the few cheap, simple mods I had done. I think your 195hp pull is right on.

in 02 i bought a brand new powerstroke. i took it to scheids and ran it on their dyno. 1000% bone stock. factory exhaust and everything.

i think factory it was 250hp (auto) 500tq

it did 194 hp and 525 tq

i know its not exactly apples to apples comparing your dodge to my old ford but i think your numbers sound about right for a mostly stock truck.

OEM dynos just can't handle the torque our diesels put out down LOW LOL

Dads bone stock 98 12 valve 5 speed put down 204hp and 537ft lbs on scheids dyno about 5 years ago.

mine dynoed 188 and 481...but its an auto...with an intake an 5" exhaust

mine put down 219 with strait pipe bahf 100horse injectors a quad xzt+ and a smarty. hmm looks like i gots a problem

Torque will be different if dynoed in direct vs overdrive.

I have tried mine in both and the hp remains within 5 but the torque will go up about 50-75 in overdrive.

Ad then there are correction factors to consider.