Stock Girdle?

dieseljunkie

Wasted Wages
I purchased an 05 5.9 CR a while back and I just got to tearin it down. My plan was to part it out for cash. I'll start by saying that I know nothing about CR's. This engine came out of a fleet box truck, but the serial # on the valve cover is missing. Im tryin to find out what exacatly I've got hear. Anyhow, today I put it on the stand, flipped it over and tore into it to find a girdle under the oil pan. It does not connect to the pan nor the main bolts, but between the two; it bolts into threaded holes and spans the entire bottom end, 14 bolts in all. Of course it has holes to allow the crank to pass through, but it is a 5/16" plate of steal none the less. Is this normal for a stock engine? Another thing that has me wondering is their are additional oilers in the bottom of the bore. Not just the ones under the main bearings but individual ones coming from the ex. side of the block through a bango bolt at the bottom of the bore. Is this standard in a CR? I need to get pics so I can post them!

it's called a " stiffener plate " to Cummins or a dealer and it's a part of the stock motor.

The extra oilers you see if I'm not mistaken are the pistons oilers to help with cooling.

yep that is all normal for most of the cr motors. I typically call the plate a "bed plate" since a girdle usually ties the mains also, as you mentioned. The older style jets that were off the mains are now plugged off and the oil is routed to the nozzles that spray directly under the piston.

Any common rail with engine power ratings higher then 230HP will have j-jet piston cooling nozzles. 230Hp and under have traditional saddle piston cooling nozzles.

Back