Strange Failure

dangerous06

diesel tech
Got a truck in with a loud knock. I noticed all the adjustment screws were turned all the way in on the rockers. "BEYOND NORMAL"
Pulled the motor did a quick tear down and noticed the cam had eaten about a 1/4" into the block on the rear. I pulled the cam and all the bearings were scored like it was run with out oil. I know Cummins don't use bearings not sure what that part is called! However all the main and rod bearings look fine as do all the cylinders. Has anyone seen this before? really weird!

Can the block be saved? I'm thinking junk! Unless it can be bored is this possible?

I say this in the nicest way possible...... how do you get business and what's your labor rate?

Yes a good machine shop can line bore it for cam bushings
I’ve seen quite a few trucks do this and we fix them

The rocker adjusters were turned all the way in to try to make it run when it was eating the cam.

We did find a oversized bushing for the real bad ones

Do you have a part number for that I'm gonna need it!
As far as the nicest way to ask what a **** job mechanic I am well Word of mouth is all I use I don't do this for a living. I just help my fellow Cummins people out! Seems I get 2 to 3 engine R/R a month as far away as Washington so far. They have come to me so I must be doing something right......OH Yeah I don't charge but for parts and a little labor! I'm not afraid to ask questions either! I'd rather have a few opinions and learn the right way than just throw parts at a problem! I come to this site for the few that know what they are talking about and want to help. As far as the assholes hey this IS COMPD!!
I'll be ok!

Should be able to line bore the journals and press in some oversized bushings. Lmk if you need a stock cam ;)

Should be able to line bore the journals and press in some oversized bushings. Lmk if you need a stock cam ;)

Thanks I got a stack of them! Got really good at swapping the gear over!
I'll try and get a pic up but since photo bucket got greedy I'm not sure what platform to use I sure in hell am not paying them a monthly fee! I wish I could pull photo's from my computer! Anyone know how to do that?! And post them here!

TapaTalk is quick, easy and free on your smart phone for pictures.

I upload pictures via phone then edit the post on a PC to add detailed descriptions.

What valve springs/cam combo was you running .. I saw this several times guys running cheap valve springs that run near coil bind . Pressures are high 550-600 lbs way to much for reg low zinc oil ..

Last edited:
UPDATE: Upon tear down noticed the girdle bolts were installed wrong. the torques head was not under the oil pickup tube in the right spot a regular bolt was there and when they
tightened the pick up tube down it fractured the cast end piece. This lead to sucking air which in turn lead to oil starvation to the cam. and the cam ate the block! So a wasted block and engine due to some builder not knowing what they were doing! and to make things worse they used regular bolts to install the oil squirters! Now that was funny! Poor customer had to eat it 7500. installed and no core for me!

Can't say I've seen that before.

How did they expect the oil to get through? :bang

Last edited:
that such a basic idea. The special bolt is very clearly for that spot. WOW. Some people should just put the wrenches down and go back to desk jobs.