strange turbo noise

number9t

i started to notice a new noise coming from my truck. I think that it might be my ebpv closing. it sounds like a hissing noise coming out of my exhuast pipe. its almost like a hollow hissing noise. it only happens when i'm not on throttle hard or completely off of it, just kinda of cruising along. Sorry if i'm not making too much sense. I bought a van turbo off of ebay that has a wicked wheel in it. i was wondering if i put that in and did the ebpv delete at the same time if that would take care of my problem, plus get rid of the turbo surge. anybodys $.02 would be greatly appricated

It sounds like your EBV. Does it do it only when the engine is cold? or does it still do it after you been driving around for awhile? If you do the van turbo and/or gutted the EBV then it wont happen cause it aint there.$.02

it only does it when its really cold outside, but even when my temp comes up, it still does it. one other question, do i have to take the ebpv housing off of my turbo and then put it on to the van turbo? i looked at the exhuast housing on the van turbo, and it looks like the down pipe is way to big. really not looking forward to changing out the turbo, i heard that they are a PITA.

Ya know, When my rig is cold I go out and start it about five mins before I am going to leave. When I come out its making this outrageous hissing noise from the exhaust. If I lightly tap the gas it stops. I wouldnt mind knowing what the hell that is.

Its your EBV (Exhaust Backpressure Valve) Its normal and it will also continue to work when driving up to about 1500 rpm until the oil has reach its proper temp. It will also come back on if its very cold out and you are idling for extended periods of time.

[QUOTE='Powerstroke7.3]Just to clear this up. Where is the EBV located?[/QUOTE]

Here is a pic of the EBPV for you.

engine.jpg

Last edited:
Its deff the ebpv. Mine does it also.. noticed this a little while ago when the temps droped. On cold days its off and on almost all day. I ask around and found out this is not supposed to be happening. Well i got under there to change the reverse sensor and found oil on the bell housing, the pedestal is leaking now, Not sure if these are related but... who knows

-Chris

Hey Chris, If you havent been welcomed yet then let me say it.. :welcome: To the site. Have I seen you around town?

thanks, but i think that you did in the who's truck is this thread? about the green reg cab dually in Mt juliet. I said I didnt know who it was either. Anyways... I dunno. I'm down off 231, I have a green Xcab srw 4x4, with 08 mirrors. basically muddy most of the time with a wheel barrow and tool box in the back.

-Chris

changeing the turbo isn;t as bad as it looks just took mine out yesterday and put in a wicked wheel. just take your time and look around on the internet on blackclouddiesel.com under tech section they have real good instructions on there thats what i went off of to do mine. let me know how it turns out if you do it i wanna see how long it takes others or if im just slow as hell.