stripped thread in head

bluelineranch

has any one had this happen? I was putting in my rocker assembly and popped the threads in the cylinder head, the bolt is fine, I threaded another in and cleaned it out only to have it happen again, anyone know a way to fix this? I think I may have to pull the head which sucks cus I just had it off 100 miles ago I'm open to any free advice, Ive backed off the valve lash adjuster to try and bottom out the screw before the torque and that failed would a larger bolt have negative effects?

I had the same thing happen, Just got a longer bolt and cut it to fit to the bottom of head

thanks, wouldnt it be hard to get the rocker not to float around? or do you stack washers on top?

We have not seen a problem with it. They make a better product than the brand name HELI COIL. I will get it for you in the A.M.
I have seen the threads pulled a few times one the rockers, either by cross threading or over TQ.

Get a set of ARP rocker studs and never worry about it again.

well I did some youtube research looks like ill be trying to helicoil, only crappy thing is that its #5 intake rocker so I dont know how the drilling process will go

You can still strip it from over torquing it, but the stud uses all the threads in the hole. I've done this on cylinder number 2 but I just used a longer bolt. But I am not running high rpm's.

With studs, you use all the threads in the head, and you pull the rockers down against the springs with the nut instead of making the threads in the head do the work. I've never stripped one.