Super Duty cummins coversion alternator???

LittleRed

Always Watchin'
I am wondering what alternator you guys are running on your coversions? Apparently dodge alternators are externally regulated through the trucks computer, and by swapping something else has to happen. Are people customizing the dodge alter w/ an internal regulator, or using a ford alt, or possibly a GM 1 wire.

Is there some place i can send a dodge alt to be transformed into a one wire type alt?

Running the Dodge and works better than my Powerstroke one

mine is a 2005 motor on a 2004 truck

but what about the regulator..did you buy a "one wire" dodge alt through de-stroked or something?

My 03 motor has the alternator that came on the motor originally....no mods done to it.

What year motor are you working with ?

but what about the regulator..did you buy a "one wire" dodge alt through de-stroked or something?

if you get a chrysler external regulator for an older vehicle, all you do is wire it to your key on and put a ground on one exciter terminal and the key power wire from your regulator and you now have a regulator just like what the pcm does. thats what i use. I went to advanced auto parts and asked for a alt. regulator for a old car. pretty much any older chrysler will work. if you get a ford one, theres more wires to mess with.

My 03 motor has the alternator that came on the motor originally....no mods done to it.

What year motor are you working with ?

Well im not sure what year the motor is. Its a 12v probably around a 96 or so. The truck was put together by hellman orginally. I have the alt that was on it, i couldnt get it to charge (not sure if im hooking up correctly?), so i went to the parts store to get another alt. Looking at a new one compared to the old...there are three stud terminals on the back of the alt, one is the BATT +, the other two are small (not sure what they are, Field maybe?) On the original alt that was on the truck, there are two wires coming from inside the case and have terminal end going to the two small posts. I tore the cover off and it looks to me like this piece was added to a stock alt. I assume its some sort of internal regulator?

Not knowing how to make this alt work and charge...I put a GM one wire on the truck and its charging now. Im just concerned on how long its going to last. Not sure if a 65 amp alt is going to do the job of a 120 amp alt?

Use a 1st gen dodge voltage reg and wire it up .They are around $18.00 ,they work fine on the 2nd gen alt.

Any alternator shop can make a dodge alternator an internaly regulated 1 wire unit for pretty cheap.

Any alternator shop can make a dodge alternator an internaly regulated 1 wire unit for pretty cheap.

Just something to think about. I went to an alternator/starter repair place to get a regulator put in my stock Dodge alternator. He charged me $40 for the conversion. He said he could do a 1 wire setup or the conventional 2 wire setup. He said that the 1 wire type can tend to draw the battery down over time if the truck is not run regularly. I work out of the country and my truck sits for 4-5 weeks at a time, so he recomended a 2 wire setup. If you'll be driving the truck at least once every 2 weeks or so, then the 1 wire is fine, but if the truck will be parked for extended periods, you may want to do the 2 wire. Just me experiance.

i used a old school ford reg on the dodge alt, 12v from a 97 works great

Yes.... If you search around, this external regulator mod has been well written up. Some non conversion guys have even done this to bypass the whole computer regulation mess.

:Cheer: