Superduty wiring, WTF?!

roachie

Taco Master
Just wanting to see what people are taping for a key hot and run wire on the trucks.

I've been searching alldata for the last hour and can't find a damn diagram that shows what I need.

The column wire sure look good right now...

Just wanting to see what people are taping for a key hot and run wire on the trucks.

I've been searching alldata for the last hour and can't find a damn diagram that shows what I need.

The column wire sure look good right now...

Multimeters work great.

Start at the little connector that should be clipped to the bottom of the dash right behind the access panel on the driver's side.

I was kind hoping for a better starting point that stabbing every wire under the dash while turning the key.

Time to get the toys out.

On a related topic, how many amps does a standard 12v 20a relay use?

I was kind hoping for a better starting point that stabbing every wire under the dash while turning the key.

Well, the 3 or 4 wires on that little plug don't exactly constitute "every wire under the dash".

And since it's an open plug.... well, you get the picture.

I believe you will find 12v crank and run on there IIRC.

And you're talking about the coil amperage of the relay? Probably in the milliamps region.

Well, the 3 or 4 wires on that little plug don't exactly constitute "every wire under the dash".

And since it's an open plug.... well, you get the picture.

I believe you will find 12v crank and run on there IIRC.

And you're talking about the coil amperage of the relay? Probably in the milliamps region.

Acually, my multimeter tells me that this 30A relay on my desk pulls .16 amps across the coil. So 160 mA.

Ah, the dead end plug is a bust. It shows 8v and I have 11v in the batteries.

Going too the ignition switch next.

Thanks for the relay info. I was considering using outdoor phone cord to run some relays for my accessorizes. Its 24ga solid core so its limited to 1.5a I think.

Ah, the dead end plug is a bust. It shows 8v and I have 11v in the batteries.

Going too the ignition switch next.

Thanks for the relay info. I was considering using outdoor phone cord to run some relays for my accessorizes. Its 24ga solid core so its limited to 1.5a I think.

SOB.... you sure you had a solid ground? Did you ground to the little bolt head on the passenger's side wall of the little under-dash area there?

I would have sworn it would have had 12, and 8 doesn't exist on the truck anywhere, so.....

Probably a bad ground.

Maybe not, just thinking logically here before you go searching all around for what's probably on that plug.

On Edit:

Or was it 8v there because the glow plugs were on.... then when you walked up to the battery they had turned off?

Only 1 pin is getting11v the rest are single digits or less. I think those are reading feed back?

Grounded to the dash ground bolt itself.

I found 2 good wires on the switch, the start wire holds 4.2v in the off position for some damn reason.

Only 1 pin is getting11v the rest are single digits or less. I think those are reading feed back?

Grounded to the dash ground bolt itself.

I found 2 good wires on the switch, the start wire holds 4.2v in the off position for some damn reason.

I just walked outside and checked and on the little plug on my 550 outside and going pin to pin I got nothing, then next some bs voltage, then a 5v reference, and then finally 12v+ on the pin with a red with white striped wire attached to it.

What year truck are you messing with? All of mine seem to have 12v on that plug.

Its an 04, same wire as you, its key hot though.

Isnt that the power pedal plug?

Yes but, I needed a start wire too.

That plug you found would be very helpful later though. You know if it is fused?

Multimeter confirms...

It's fused with the IVS circuit. Fuse location 19, 10A on a 2000 yr.

And that is a crank and run source.

If you want crank only, the small wire to the solenoid, or the actual starter post off the solenoid would suffice. But that red w/white stripe is crank and run on my 550.

Problem is the engine is gone so I have none of the wiring that goes to it or the FICM.

Thanks for the info Charles, that IVS will be the new power source for my gauges.

you can tap into the ficm wiring in the fuse panel under the hood, i wish i woulda wrote down exactly how i did it to help ya more.

Eh, I'll just use the dash wires since I already found them. Its only 2 more to go through the firewall.