Surge???

POWERSTROKER

i have this noise that i hear when i start to climb a hill, pass a car, go WOT, it sounds like a psss....psss....psss..., very rapid, and it does it a different boost levels, it used to do it every now and again, but now its does it everyday when i get onto the highway and goes away if i let off the pedal . is this surge??? i have never experienced surge before, and am not sure what it sounds like.

how bad is this on a turbo?? and how can i fix it???

it sounds like it may be surge, surge isn't good for the turbo. The sound is more than the sound of the turbo spool right? It amost sounds like an air leak? I ask because my truck used to do the same thing on the old motor, it wasn't surge. My new engine does it too. .. only now it's a lot more violent since i'm making more power. .. i'm hoping it's the IPR sticking, but i'll find out when i replace it. Have you noticed a decrease in fuel economy or can you feel the truck pull harder and then let off when it makes the sound?

fuel ecomomy has gone down, and it seems to loose a bit of power when it makes the sound, and yes it kinda sounds like an air leak

Just for kicks, try disconnecting the icp next time you have some time and see if it keeps doing it. I'm still trying to track my issue down, but it's a lot better w/the icp disconnected. .. i'll be replacing the ipr as soon as i have a few minutes. . .i'll let you know.

well i tried disconnecting the ICP today and relized i can't do it because i have edge juice, so if i unplug it the chip does not work and if the chip does now work i don't have enough fuel to make it surge

I thought early 99's didn't have a surging issue. I know mine has never surged any.

i don't have one, i have the power elbo, i'm thinking of just buying the dominator66 from beans, anyone have experience with this turbo??