Suzuki Samurai VW diesel swap

patracy

Let me start out by giving a little background. I've been working on this prior to being an active member here. So I'm just going to copy over some previous posts on another board, so pay no mind to the references of dates.

ust got home tonight from picking it up. Currently the sammi has had the YJ leaf swap and a spring over. The engine is out, but that's one less thing for me to do. I think I snagged it for a good price. I got already lifted and on NEW swamper 33's and a pair of lockers new in the box. I've also got the stock engine and a header and other bits, but I'll likely sell them as they're no use to me.

Worst part of the body is the corner you see. I'm thinking I'll clean it up a bit, then bedliner the corners of it.

Image059.jpg

Gonna check on a VW Rabbit this week as well. ;D

Well I made a little progress tonight. But I'm not liking what I found.

Here's what the worst cyl looked like sunday before I started to soak it.
DSC03949.jpg

Look mom, no pistons!
DSC03950.jpg

Shots of the bores. They're not as bad as I thought. They'll need to be bored though I think.
DSC03951.jpg

DSC03953.jpg

Now for the bad part...
DSC03955.jpg

Number 3 piston has been melted away at the crown.
DSC03957.jpg

DSC03960.jpg

So tomorrow I'll be taking the block to the machine shop to see what they can do.

Oh and here's what It'll end up in.
DSC03947.jpg

DSC03948.jpg

For giggles I decided to tear apart the oil pump to see what it looked like. I threw it in the parts washer to clean the gunk off from it sitting so long. It washed off easily. I broke it down, doesn't appear to be much wear at all. I cleaned off all the parts and reassembled it. Little play at all. Even the pickup screen was for clean and only had residue on it. No trash or silicone. Much like the bottom end of the engine. I also checked the valve, it moved and closed like it should with tension. I used a allens wrench to reach inside and try to press it back.

DSC03961.jpg

DSC03963.jpg

DSC03964.jpg

DSC03965.jpg

DSC03967.jpg

DSC03968.jpg

DSC03969.jpg

Also I ordered my complete rebuild kit today. Going .040 over on the pistons. Also I've won a head off ebay. As it appears mine is warped, and leaks through the valves. (got a quote of $300 to rebuild it) This one looked clean and only had 60K on it.

Waiting for a turbo setup to close on ebay.

Got my block back from the machine shop. Got it all cleaned up, and bored 1mm over. She's pushing 1630cc's or 99ci now :D

IMAGE_043.jpg

The big D!
IMAGE_044.jpg

I spent the day putting the short block back together. Might work on it a little more tomorrow if I get a chance.
IMAGE_045.jpg

I coated the block in yellow. Mainly because I've got an idea for "conversation" reasons. I imagine when people here me pull up in a samurai that's "knocking". They'll ask. I plan on getting one of the "CAT" tags a lot of construction trucks have. That way I'll have an "explanation" of what engine it has. ;)
IMAGE_046.jpg

I've already got my adapter kit for the engine. Already got a new clutch on the way. And I've got a rebuild kit for a turbo. Hopefully my turbo setup will be here shortly. I've also got a oil cooler and dual remote oil filter setup coming in as well. I'm looking around right now for an intercooler setup. Lots more to go. But at least I'm making progress.

I bought the rebuild kit from rpmmachine.com I originally paid $250 for the turbo manifolds and turbo. But they never came in. Read on through my adventure.

Just an update. I've been going through all sorts of hassles with the top end of the engine. I thought I had a nice low mileage head ready to go. Boy was I wrong. It turned out to be a 1.5 head. I jumped the gun and machined an adapter for the oil return and drilled the head out to take 12mm bolts instead of the 11mm. I got all of that buttoned up and installed. Then I pulled the cam. Awhhh geeze, wiped cam mains! So I wasted a set of head bolts and head gasket. Had to order a new set ($80).

Luckily I found someone locally that was parting out a bunch of turbo parts. I picked up a rebuilt turbo head, rebuilt injector pump, and nice turbocharger for $400! That's not the only problem. I've been waiting on the rest of the parts I need (A turbo included!) from a seller in Canada since Aug. It's been one reason or another as to why it's not here. I did get the manifolds. But that's not even half of what I bought. ARRRRRGHHHH! I'm told the last package will be back to him Monday. Hopefully it'll be back out my way this week. But 3 months is ridiculous on getting something to someone. Anyhow, I did manage to put most of my top end together.

I've installed the head and timing belt. I've still got to dial in the timing but the base timing is set.
IMAGE_095.jpg

IMAGE_098.jpg

I mocked up the manifold and turbo for the heck of it. MMMM Turbo...
IMAGE_097.jpg

A new toy came in for it too...
IMAGE_099.jpg

I traded the bad head I had for it. So it cost me $200 basically. But it's better than being out $200 for nothing!

made a little more advancement today. I got the engine down off the stand and started working on the adapter plate. Here it is drilled in place and getting started on the flywheel.

IMAGE_121.jpg

New clutch disc as well
IMAGE_122.jpg

All buttoned up and ready
IMAGE_124.jpg

I also cleaned up and painted my TD oil pan today and installed it.
IMAGE_123.jpg

And the VC
IMAGE_125.jpg

Tomorrow the plan is to get the trans cleaned up and mounted in place.

From this point on, I was in the process of moving so it sat for a while. I got a shop built so I could finish this at the new place. I'm missing several pics and steps. But I did get the engine and trans in place.

IMAG0066-1.jpg

I did manage to get a some more done today.

IMAG0069.jpg

Rebuilt the turbo. Upgraded the starter to a sidekick gear reduction starter. Got a oil filter. Also got the clutch cable bracket and cable installed. Throttle cable is hooked up. And power lead to the starter. Tomorrow I'll have some more of the machine work done for the pulley, EGT probe, and I've got to do something with the intake. I'm not going to use the blow off valve they used from VW.

And finally up to today....

Made a little more progress today. Having to fab parts now.

I used the stock samurai crankshaft pulley. But I had my stepfather bore out the center hole and redrill the hole pattern on it to the VW pattern.
IMAG0078.jpg

But I realized it wouldn't have much clearance between the pulley and countershaft pulley. So I decided to hack up my old stock VW pulley to make a spacer.
IMAG0074.jpg

I used a 3" hole saw to cut it out. Hack job I have to say. But it worked.
IMAG0075.jpg

Next I drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold for my EGT probe.
IMAG0076.jpg

The local parts store didn't have a listing for the exhaust gasket to the turbo, so I made my own.
IMAG0077.jpg

The manifold it bolted onto the engine. Along with the pulley. To get everything lined up, I'm swapping the pulley from the power steering pump and water pump. I'm going to use a GM alt. with a bracket to hold it towards the passenger side of the block. I'll still have another groove left from the crank pulley. Later on I might install the VW AC compressor as an onboard air pump.

I've also got the timing dialed in. (That was a task on it's own)

Tomorrow I've got to get the turbo center clocked back in the right position and bolted to the engine. I hope I'll be able to find someone that can weld up my intake as well to get rid of the BOV setup.

Maybe in a weekend or two, I'll be ready to fire it up.

Today the following was installed:

Turbo
Turbo oil drain line
Oil filter/cooler adapter

Modified engine bracket to mount power steering pump instead. And hacked up a few brackets to build into my power steering and alt. tensioners.

IMAG0080.jpg

Tomorrow, I think I'll work on coolant hoses, belts, and get the brackets finalized and the accessories installed.

Looks good.

Do think the Sami axles will take diesel grunt with 33" tires?

Looks good.

Do think the Sami axles will take diesel grunt with 33" tires?

The "grunt" isn't all that loud. I'm only gaining about 15hp and 25ft-lbs. But it does happen below 3500rpms. compared to the 5K it took to spin the stock gaser to make that power. Really making it for a daily driver and toy. Some guys get 40mpg out of them with the NA 1.6's. If I get 25-30 I'll be happy.

Ok. I know those axles are not all that strong. Toyota axles are a popular swap from what I have seen.

Back