swap dana 80 for dana 70 help

ol-blue

I trashed my dana 70 diff. I am told to swap to a dana 80. what would I need to do to get a Dana 80 with disc brakes under my truck? Will I need to do anything with the spring perch or anything else special?

OK.. Would it be a bad idea to rebuild the 70 with good American parts? I have about 800hp with around 1900ftlbs torque.

With a vp? Are these proven dyno numbers? but back to your question you could just swap axles with out any real trouble

With a vp? Are these proven dyno numbers? but back to your question you could just swap axles with out any real trouble

It has been p-pumped and has a few extras and yea it has been on a couple of dyno's. We retuned it and when I launched at the track everything came apart from the t-case to the rear end. I replaced the NV241 with a NV271 t-case. now I am trying to decide to rebuild the d-70 or go with the d-80.

If you really have this 800 HP then there would be no question if it was me, go with the 80.

Any suggestions on a donor for a dana 80 preferably with disc brakes for my 2001 2500? Will I need to do anything special for the swap?

Need New u-bolts and might have to cut the drive shaft down.

shorten drive shaft. and since your 800hp a stock 80 won't like that either. might as well get some good axles and a few other things.

I swapped my dana 70 for a dana 80 last year. The dana 80 has drums and to be honest, I can't tell the difference between disk or drums for braking. The dana 80 had a brand new set of brake shoes in it. I had to get the driveshaft shortened and get larger u-joints. I would look into getting the 37 spline axles for the 80 and a ARB center unit.
Dana 80 - 37 Spline - Dana 80

i have aset of D80 u bolts for a stock height truck, and a set for a lift upto 6 inches. if you do go for the d80 i can hook you up.

U-Bolts, axle brackets, and shorten drive shaft.... Good luck on finding an 80 with disc brakes.... I couldn't when looking for mine...

I found a donor locally with disc brakes. Installation went OK. I had custom u bolts already. I needed to swap the top and bottom plates and shorten the drive shaft. The u bolts from the 70 worked. I will get the drive shaft back today and get it installed. I didn't check the u joints. I hope they are the same.

U-Joints are the same. I think I shortened my driveshaft like 3/4" or so. But it's been a while and I can't remember.... I just measured it.

How did your ubolts work? The axle tubes are different diameter...

01 smoke, where about new castle you from? im from over by knightstown and am in new castle and the surrounding area a lot...i used to have a white ext cab short bed 5 speed and it said "bad intentions" across the windshield...now have a dark blue blue ext cab long bed 01 on dc-2's