swap dana 80 for dana 70 help

How much did you have to shorten it?

I trashed the shaft after the wheel hop so I don't know what it was. After installing the 80 and lowering the truck 3" the shaft measured 48" from the center of the ujoint to the center of the carrier bearing. I'm sure it was a couple of inches shorter.

how much did it cost to get the drive shaft shortened?

It cost around $400 for ADT to rebuild the shaft and replace the ujoints and carrier bearing. Then I swapped the diff and had to shorten it another inch. That cost $115. Lesson learned--do the total swap before having the shaft rebuilt!!!!!

U-Joints are the same. I think I shortened my driveshaft like 3/4" or so. But it's been a while and I can't remember.... I just measured it.

How did your ubolts work? The axle tubes are different diameter...

The u bolts go beside the axle tubes not over them. I had to replace the top and bottom plates to make up the difference in the tube width. The bolts I had worked fine. It is not recommended to reuse the bolts due to stretching but I haven't torqued mine down since I replaced them so I am gone try them.

The u bolts go beside the axle tubes not over them. I had to replace the top and bottom plates to make up the difference in the tube width. The bolts I had worked fine. It is not recommended to reuse the bolts due to stretching but I haven't torqued mine down since I replaced them so I am gone try them.

that's right.... i was thinking they went around the tubes.... lol :bang