Swap Question

dodgeram2500

I am swaping my nv4500 out for a 47re and have a few questions. Does the block to trans adapter plate need to be changed? i have heard both ways. if not do i need to spacer the starter to make it work with the automatic?

I don't think you need the spacer. I'm not sure what you mean by the block to trans adapter? Bellhousing?
I'm looking to go the other way 47re to NV4500. Take some pics. Alot of people have done the swaps, but few have the pictures to show. Atleast I haven't seen a good writeup about it.

Ok, just went out and looked. I don't see the starter spacer. I see what you are refering to as the block to trans adapter. I don't think it has to be changed. I havent' heard anyone changing it in all of my research (just second hand knowledge, hope to get some first hand soon.)

i have been told that the adapter plate needs to be changed. i am going to pull my trans tomorrow and see the difference in bellhousing bolt patterns. i have a bare core, flywheel and converter to try and mock up. i will take pics and let you know

This was for my 2wd, and the adapter doesnt have to be changed, it bolts right up.

Transmission
Transmission mount
  • I used a 2001 Chevy 2500 diesel mount and redrilled it
Driveshaft
  • Stock driveshaft is too short, by about 8" and the yoke will not work. A 4wd yoke is the right spline count.
Shift tower
Shift tower bolts
Shifter and boot
Pedals
  • I have pedals out of a 1994 the pin for the clutch master piston rod needs to be cut off and welded on lower
Hydraulics
  • 94-97 hydraulics work for any year, and are stronger, you can run a 3600lb pressure plate w/ the older hydraulics
Master cylinder mount
  • This is needed to keep the master on the firewall, if you pull out the rubber plug and the 2 holes are open, you need this
Bellhousing
6 speed flywheel
Flywheel bolts
  • cummins dealer, $3.50 each
Pilot bearing
Valair clutch
Pressure plate
Pressure plate bolts
Throwout bearing
Clutch fork
Starter spacer
Starter spacer bolts
5 qts amsoil
Tube of loc tite
Tube of RTV

Good info Rollin Coal.
Sorry dodgeram2500, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

What about the transfer case input? I heard the spline counts were different.

Transfer case inputs are different spline count between manual tranny 4x4 and auto tranny 4x4.

when junked my 47re the only thing i had to change was the 4x4 shifter lever and the drive shaft lengths other than that i scraped all the cooler lines. the mid plate is the same however the flywheel bolt will need to be shorter. and the tranfer case in put is diff as said above

Get rid of the starter spacer. Cost me a week of head scratching and shipping flexplates around for no reason. It was my understanding the spacer only came with upgraded clutch/flywheels.

I also was thinking about going from an nv4500 to a 47re i got the tranny and everything but the electronics kinda scared me away from it are you planning on getting TCM from an auto truck and putting it in yours or what i would like to know how you are going to do it

i am changing my 47re to a 47rh. the rh only has electronics for overdrive and torque converter clutch. i plan on just using a coulpe of buttons or switches mounted somewhere within easy reach. i dont daily drive the truck so it shouldn't bother me. if i drove it everyday i would change the computers and wiring harness to make the 47re work