Swapping to P pump

BlOwInCoAl

I will be doing the swap later this summer, I am just waiting on my lines to come in the mail, and I have to go buy the gaskets from Cummins tomorrow.

Anyhow my question is if I will be doing occasional towing and mostly daily driving with my truck what timing should I set my truck at if I do NOT reset the pop pressure of my DDP 110's from the VP pressure.

Also with this setup I am wondering if I should put a cam in? I am leaning towards no because I am not looking for the big power, I am just wanting the reliability and mechanical injection of the P Pump, and since I have the money now I will be doing the swap later this summer.

A little more info on what I have on my truck:
Stock expect for DDP 110's, boost fooler(which will be gone obviously once p pump is put on), AD150, all gauges, 5 speed manual 4x4 and plugged wastegate.

What I have purchased:
175 HP P7100 (747 pump with 11mm plungers)
Timing/gear case
.084 Lines
Pump gear
Oil line and T fitting
Gaskets (will be getting all needed later this week)

Anyhow what do ya'll think I should time my engine to with my setup that I will be running and not looking for big power just mechanical injection reliability?

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

Last edited:
Next question: If/When I use the dial indicator to set my timing on my pump what should the dial indicator read? 6.4 to 6.6? This is going off of this chart for the 160/175 HP pump column(second column in from left) Diesel Timing

Those timing charts are for the 838/841/854 12mm 160/175hp pumps. If yours is really a 11mm pump, it will most likely have a different timing chart. I'd set it with the pin and find someone with a timing light to see where you are at and then adjust and recheck. 6.4mm could be way advanced or it could be retarded. I'd want to know one way or the other though.

That, or I'd look for a 12mm pump from a dodge.

Very interesting......So would the best thing for me to do is set the pump at TDC or 0* then rotate the engine backwards 18*-19* for timing?

To set the pump to zero I take the plug out of the drivers side of the pump and then line up the mark with the needle?? Does this sound correct?

If you set the timing by pinning the pump through the side and the timing lever it wont be at 0 most likely. Each pump has its timing set internally. My 911 180hp pump for example is set at 12* stock. I set my timing at 22* when I did my pump swap so I had to set my motor at 10* and my pump is at 12*, so 22* total. Take the serial number and post it, there are several people on here that can tell you by looking up the number what its timed at.