T Case slipping from 2wd half way to 4wd suggestions?

WideOpenThrottl

I just put my rebuilt motor and manual tranny back in the pickup, but there seems to be a bit of a problem. When driving at various speeds the T Case starts to grind real bad like it is trying to go into 4x4, so you I try pushing it forward into 2wd, nothing, pull it into 4wd while still moving, sound goes away, then push it back into 2wd and its good for a couple more miles and it will do it all over again. It seems as though it slips half way into 4wd?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance,
Tim.

mine did the exact same thing! its in the sprags in the t case im no pro so im not sure of the exact names of the parts but there is three needle bearing looking things in the sprag Assembly that lets it rotate one way but not the other mine was missing two (laying in the bottom of the t case).

the transfer case will need to be gone through

I think I found the problem, the axle actuator had its clips broken inside so the fork was free to slide side to side, hence why it would grind and attempt to go into 4x4. I put new clips on the axle actuator so we will see what happens,
Thanks,
Tim.

read your post kinda quick! mine would pop out of two wheel and grind bad! i see what your saying now good luck!

mine made that noise too,it was the rear snapring that holds the output shaft from going in and out.