T3/T4 vs. T4

bh10

Web Wrencher
I was wondering how much restriction would you see with a t3/t4 adaptor over a t4 manifold? Would it be significant or marginally noticable? I picked up a new turbo with a t4 and have a t3 manifold thats ported and coated Id like to keep, but if its going to hinder flow a lot, Ill buy a new manifold.

I think if your going from the T3 manifold to the T4 turbo then i dont see there being much of a restriction. I would say if anything going from a T4 manifold to a T3 turbo would cause restrictions not this way tho.

I had the same problem,had a T3 coated manifold switched to a T4 charger this year and didn't have the cash to switch the manifold right away.Got a T3-T4 through ED.

Not sure who much it is going to hurt.

I am sure there is a tiny restriction but tiny being the key word. If I was you I'd run what you have and upgrade if you break what you have but not until then.

For what it is worth I run a ported stocker with a $30 OBX t3/t4 flange I port matched also.

I say run the adapter. And as you have time or energy, possibly port the manifold and adapter as much as you can to see if there is a difference. After that go to a t4 manifold if needed.

Port the everliving F*c* out of your stocker manifold and the adapter and run it

If you can swing it, the T4 will be a nice improvement over the T3 manifold, even on a t3 charger. I ran a t4 pdi manifold with a t4/t3 adapter and a t3 charger, and noticed a difference over a pdi t3.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll never buy a t4 manifold, unless I get a wicked deal on a t4 turbo to make up for it, even then, I'll wait and get the manifold used lol

I had plans to make my own manifold for my new pulling motor, but the only place that sells a flange that goes from the rectangle ports to round is $300 for the flange alone.

I think I'll just buy one of these and port match my adapter I was using on my stock manifold.

3pc Exhaust Manifold 1989-1998 12v rough

tired of button pushing.... tired of dealing with it.....

for the money it'd cost to go thru it, i can get rid of it AND get a 5spd and DD clutch

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll never buy a t4 manifold, unless I get a wicked deal on a t4 turbo to make up for it, even then, I'll wait and get the manifold used lol

T4 exhaust housings are typically cheaper than most T3 since the majority of T4 housings are not wastegated.

I was wondering how much restriction would you see with a t3/t4 adaptor over a t4 manifold? Would it be significant or marginally noticable? I picked up a new turbo with a t4 and have a t3 manifold thats ported and coated Id like to keep, but if its going to hinder flow a lot, Ill buy a new manifold.

My question is what do you benefit running a T4 charger but still keep a T3 Manifold? Even with an adapter your still driving a charger in a T4 housing with a T3 manifold. In theory its like blowing thru a small straw first and then the big straw to drive the charger, which by the way, creates drive pressure. In this scenario it would be excessive drive pressure vs what is needed to drive a charger in a T4 housing.

The T4 manifold is not only bigger at the turbine flange, but is generally bigger thru out, and by design is going to match a T4 Turbine housing better, maximizing flow and allowing you to fully take advantage of the T4 Turbine Housing.

Every single turbo installed by Fleece Performance is installed on a T4 platform, whether its a Cummins or Dmax. Truth be told the T4 chargers when paired with the appropriate T4 Manifolds just drive better.

Caleb