Tanny Problem

Burnproof16

I have been having some problems out of my tranny for a little while now and I'm not really sure what it is. Can U all help. First Off at a dead stop my tranny will not want to go to gear i have to push and push to get it into a gear or try 3rd 4th or 2nd to see if it will go and then i will put it in 2nd real fast and then take off. 2nd thing is when i put it in 2nd easily it will like slam and shake the whole truck and it will go just fine but it's weird. sometimes it will grind goin into 2nd also. I think it's just the synchronizers but I don't know. Whats Wrong

What kind of clutch are you using ?

Could be a delaminated clutch disc.

I don't have hydraulics. yea it does it in 2nd mainly though 3rd is fine 4th is kinda weird u can feel the tranny spinnin in the shifter and then when it slows down it will go in gear.

my brothers used to go into second fine when stopped and then if you tried to downshift to second or if you took off in first and tried to shift to second it would never let you get it in until the truck rolled to a stop. turned out to be really worn out shift forks and some other small pieces, can't remember exactly what was replaced.

sounds like shifting issues to me either forks or synchros. is your clutch adjusted correctly since you don't have hydraulics cause the cable can stretch.

I would say you have clutch or hyd probems. 2,3,and 4 gear syncro's dont go bad all at once the same with the shift forks.

I don't have hydraulics. yea it does it in 2nd mainly though 3rd is fine 4th is kinda weird u can feel the tranny spinnin in the shifter and then when it slows down it will go in gear.

Which is exactly what will happen when you have a dragging clutch.

I would say you have clutch or hyd probems. 2,3,and 4 gear syncro's dont go bad all at once the same with the shift forks.

Exactly, although if he drives it this way long enough he will probably ruin all of them.

yea my clutch was installed right.so u all think it's the forks? I don't have hydrolics and if the synchros don't go bad then that would seem to be the problem

unless u changed something u have a clutch master, and slave cyl. that is were i would look in to

unless u changed something u have a clutch master, and slave cyl. that is were i would look in to

Exactly. you would need a huge leg if it wasn't.:umno: 3250 lbs. is the plate load rating

When I put South Bend's 3850 in my truck I couldn't get it to go in to gear with the truck runing. So I called them and talked to Peter. We figured out that I wasn't getting enough travel. So he sent me a different slave with more to fix it. put that in had more travel than I needed so I ended up spacing it out some. Now it works fine.

try taking the slave off and removing the plastic spacer between the bell housing and the slave. Also make sure the clutch master has enough fluid in it. It's on the drivers side firewall next to the brake master. See if that helps.$.02

the travel issue might be the problem but i'm gonna put hydrolics in it to see if that fixes it if not I'll mess with the cylinders. my fluid is fine though. it's weird I've had that clutch for about a month and a half now

the travel issue might be the problem but i'm gonna put hydrolics in it to see if that fixes it if not I'll mess with the cylinders. my fluid is fine though. it's weird I've had that clutch for about a month and a half now

I installed south bend 3600 and truck shifted great for 2-3 months then it would go into gear hard, esp reverse. The other day installed upgraded hydros... shifts awesome! Doesn't sound like the exact problem yur having but good chance its the hydros.

I just got off the phone with southbend and they are sayin it's the master and slave cylinders so I'm gonna get the hydrolics and that come with new slave and master cylinders so that i hope will fix the problem and have a new fork and everything is new but i don't have hydros so im gonna start there and hopefully that should do it

I would say that the reason you didn't have to many problems right away is because these are really tough clutches. Peter told me that it take a little to get the clutches to fully seat/ mesh in place to where they will run. It's kinda like a new set of brakes it takes a little for them to have there best performance. Once the clutch is seated and you have everything working you shouldn't have any more problems.

Good luck I hope the hydros takes care of your problems.

I would say that the reason you didn't have to many problems right away is because these are really tough clutches. Peter told me that it take a little to get the clutches to fully seat/ mesh in place to where they will run. It's kinda like a new set of brakes it takes a little for them to have there best performance. Once the clutch is seated and you have everything working you shouldn't have any more problems.

Good luck I hope the hydros takes care of your problems.

yea thats exactly what the guy said when i called southbend today. I have about 1500-2000 miles on it and he said man to be honest it's probably not broke in even with the 250 mile break-in period. I hope also that the hydros take care of it. Thanks For All The Help. Really Appreciated.