Tanny Problem

could be your hydraulics. The more you force it into gear though, the more you're wearin the synchros and blockers. If I remember right 1st and 2nd share synchros, and 3rd and 4th share also. So if 2nd has a problem, 1st will, and if 3rd has a prob, 4th will. Cost me $1200 to get synchros and blockers done at a trans shop, and i pulled it out and installed it...

actually 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th (any paired gears) only share parts of each syncro. the hub which is splined to the output shaft and the shift collar which the forks ride in. sounds to me like your hydraulics are bad with so many gears acting up. if 2nd is really hard then the dog teeth (little diamond shaped teeth on the blocker rings and speed gear, as well as the inner dog teeth on the sleeve could be having the points of the dog teeth rounding off which would make it harder for you to find gears and could eventually cause some gear clash (grinding). i doubt all the syncros went bad all of a sudden, i bet you would have noticed something was wrong way before now. but if the dog teeth are wearing, when the back taper on them starts to wear off you can get into a situation where it will pop out of gear. your best bet is to get the hydraulics and i bet that will fix it. just my $.02