Tappet cover gasket

Almost forgot, before I go to all of the trouble of fixing the oil leak is there any BIG advantage to going with a billet cover? They look fairly pricey and don't know if there is any real benefit other than they look nice.

Just gasket and no RTV then? I only used a bit to keep the gasket in place while I got it lined up. The gasket also came from Auto Zone and it was a big bright blue one. Do you know if the local parts store gaskets are decent?

Yeah, just the gasket. The ones I have used in the past with no issues were the orange fel pro ones.

When I did my ppump swap I just reused my 24 valve tappet cover. If I were to do it over, however, I think I would use a stock 12 valve tappet cover for the extra breather.

Almost forgot, before I go to all of the trouble of fixing the oil leak is there any BIG advantage to going with a billet cover? They look fairly pricey and don't know if there is any real benefit other than they look nice.

They help stiffen up the block a little bit and most come with an o-ring seal. But most of them don't have baffles on the breathers, so you'll probably need to run a catch can.

Do NOT use rtv on the tappet cover gasket. What happens is the rtv lubricates the surface making it easier for the tappet cover gasket to slide out when torqued on. Some use super glue on the inside lip of the gasket before they put it on the cover. I just make sure everything is perfectly clean with brake clean and then make sure to torque to spec.

Yeah, just the gasket. The ones I have used in the past with no issues were the orange fel pro ones.

^ this. ive use 3 of the orange ones, never had a problem. had a friend use one of the blue ones, and his leaked right after install too... swapped to an orange, leak fixed...

They help stiffen up the block a little bit and most come with an o-ring seal. But most of them don't have baffles on the breathers, so you'll probably need to run a catch can.

Please explain to me how a billet tapper cover stiffens the block.

It is bolted to 5 pedestals that are cast in to the block and seats against the block with an o-ring. If there is ever any flex in the block there the cover would just slip on the o-ring surface before providing enough strength to "stiffen" the block.

In my opinion, billet tapper covers are not worth the money. They may make the installation a little simpler but, I think I have figured out a sufficient way replace the cover gasket. And unless the cover is really warped I don't see the need to buy a billet cover.

Please explain to me how a billet tapper cover stiffens the block.

It is bolted to 5 pedestals that are cast in to the block and seats against the block with an o-ring. If there is ever any flex in the block there the cover would just slip on the o-ring surface before providing enough strength to "stiffen" the block.

In my opinion, billet tapper covers are not worth the money. They may make the installation a little simpler but, I think I have figured out a sufficient way replace the cover gasket. And unless the cover is really warped I don't see the need to buy a billet cover.
It's not much, but any little bit helps(especially on higher hp builds). Plus $125 isn't very expensive for a piece with a much better seal.

I don't believe that it stiffens the block. That's the last reason I'd buy a billet cover.

I'll agree it is a better seal, but what spend the money when it can be spent else where? Especially of you can make it work. And show me where I can get a billet tappet cover for $125. I've seen them for $250+. That's not worth it at all in my opinion.

I don't believe that it stiffens the block. That's the last reason I'd buy a billet cover.

I'll agree it is a better seal, but what spend the money when it can be spent else where? Especially of you can make it work. And show me where I can get a billet tappet cover for $125. I've seen them for $250+. That's not worth it at all in my opinion.
I'm not going to argue it, I have been told by a very successful cummins engine builder that it helps and I trust that person. You don't have to believe it, I don't really care.
http://www.bluegrasspullingparts.com/billet-tappet-cover/

I just had the same problem with mine this past Monday. Less than 1,000 miles on a rebuild. Mine was between the 2nd and 3rd bolts from the front of the engine. I just removed my vacuum/power steering pump, loosened the bolts and pushed the gasket back in place. I also put a dual valve cover breather on it (mine is a 12v), no problems yet.

Kennys Pulling Parts has them for $100. I bought one from got torque (eatsoot.com) for a little bit more and it was a very well made piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any suggestions on what else you think it might be? The leak when not running isn't as bad as when running.

Oil, especially hot oil, is worse than blood for a little bit looking like a lot. Just for ideas, oil pressure sending unit, oil line to P-pump, oil line to vacuum pump, tee fitting for those oil lines, P-pump itself, vacuum pump, PS pump, PS hoses, lift pump or block off plate.

For it to leak while not running, I'm going to lean toward the vacuum pump, PS pump, or the P-pump. The P-pump will hold quite a bit of oil after shut-off. I've seen cracked governor housings and holes knocked in them without knowing it till it's on. Nobody ever looks at the bottom of them until there's a problem.

Ok, I cleaned up the side of my motor with some parts cleaner and my leak looks like its coming from my oil pressure sending unit! Is this a real possibility? My oil pressure gauge reads just fine but the oil leak looks like that is where its coming from. Any thoughts on this?

Ok, I cleaned up the side of my motor with some parts cleaner and my leak looks like its coming from my oil pressure sending unit! Is this a real possibility? My oil pressure gauge reads just fine but the oil leak looks like that is where its coming from. Any thoughts on this?

Pull it and put a plug in it's place just to check it.