Tappet Cover

RockinRam96

So, I had to can out the failed pump this weekend. I fugured while I had everything apart I'd put a new front cover gasket on, a new front main seal, and a new tappet cover gasket.

I got the gasket set from Napa that came with 6 metal washer type "gaskets' and 6 washer type gaskets that had a metal washer and rubber washer. Similar to these. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149820&highlight=tappet+cover I did not use the thing metal type washers, only the metal and rubber washer. I started the truck and it runs great, but I have a massive oil leak around the tappet cover now.

Was I not supposed to be using the metal and rubber washers? Do I need to use both types of washers?

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is very frustrating because I have to tear everything apart again.

Thanks

I recently put a new tappet cover gasket on my '98.5 but don't recall how I used the washers. But a must with this job is you have to use 3M or RTV to securely adhere the gasket to the cover or it will push out and cause a major leak.

Did you put the gasket on backwards? Not trying to be a d!ck but there is a thick side and a thin side.... Don't ask me how I know this. Lol

Thick side and thin side. Should be marked clearly as well. Been there as well.

Well Monday night I tore the whole truck down again. Made 100% sure I had the gasket the correct way and put RTV on the cover then slid the gasket over the cover. Put a thin lay of RTV on the gasket where it would meet the block and put everything back together.

It was 11 o'clock at night at that point so I had no one to help me bleed the fuel lines. Bled the fuel lines first thing when I got home form work last night. Don't ya know, still leaking. This time I could see it, it was at the back part of the tappet cover and I could see the gasket pushed out.

So I tore the intake horn off, APPS, and fuel filter canister off, took off all the bolts for the tappet cover and was able to push the gasket back where it belongs. Put it all back together and as soon as it make oil pressure, it pushed the gasket back out.

Who knew such a simple job replacing a leaky gasket would cause so much of a frustration. About to scrap the whole truck at this point!

I put them together stone dry. No rtv, nothing slippery to let it slide. Brake cleaner on the block, cover, and make sure the cover is good and straight.

I agree with Ghostman.

Is the Cover warped? I know mine was and it leaked bad.

I didn't check to see if the cover was straight or not when i had it off. I was going to but I got to far ahead of myself.

A billet tappet cover would be nice but I'm just not going to spend that kind of money on a truck that I drive in the winter time to keep my 12 valve out of the salt.

I've never used any RTV. New gasket and seals for bolts, install dry. Never had a leak. I bet it's warped, or that area is messed up in the block.

Make sure you put the oil feed back on the pump. That ought to spit out some oil if you didn't and make sure you didn't hit your lift pump

Just did mine when I ppumped. Cleaned block well with brake clean and cleaned the cover well before I put the gasket around it. Used the small washers and then the rubber and metal washers under that. Dont over torque it!

I put them together stone dry. No rtv, nothing slippery to let it slide. Brake cleaner on the block, cover, and make sure the cover is good and straight.

This is how i do it.^^^ Tried rtv on one while it was on a engine stand and that turned out to be a horrible idea. The rtv let the gasket slide out and it would have never sealed.

I install them dry now.

Little trick Darren taught me is to super glue the gasket to the cover then install cover to block dry.

Sent from my paperweight