Tappet Cover

^^^ good idea. After working at an Audi dealership, I stopped using so much RTV. They install most seals/gaskets dry from the factory and usually go a long time without leaking. Sometimes the surfaces aren't perfect, so you need a little sealant.

Last edited:
I use High-Tack on everything. It's a silicon spray glue basically. I spray it on both sealing surfaces, let it dry for 15 min (gets very tacky) then put everything together. I've never had anything leak.

I use High-Tack on everything. It's a silicon spray glue basically. I spray it on both sealing surfaces, let it dry for 15 min (gets very tacky) then put everything together. I've never had anything leak.

Not to be a dick, but I'm not spraying any kind of glue near moving parts or oil passages. Who knows what that stuff will do. Last thing I want is a little chunk of that getting in an oil passage and not lubricating a rod or main bearing properly.

It won't do anything if it gets in an oil passage. It's an aerosole, it doesn't clump, and it obviously doesn't stick to anything that isn't oil free. Research it a bit before ruling it out. It's far safer than RTV and in my experience works 100% of the time versus RTV allowing the gasket to slip out. When RTV squishes it's in a clump, if you can see it squished outside the tappet cover then it's obviously inside as well. If that comes off inside your motor then you have a clump of RTV floating around your motor potentially causing the problems you just listed. High Tack can't do that. Just throwing that out there. It's a staple for engine builders that have to worry about a completely and confidently leak free motor.

I don't put gobs of RTV on the gaskets. Just enough to make it stick when I put the parts together. But I'll check it out. I'm open to almost anything with this POS at this point.

You won't be disappointed, I can say that.

Another thing abotu RTV. I always let the RTV cure before I install anything. It's not as slippery then, so there's less chance of the gasket slipping out.

If anything too, put a piece of cardboard over the valvetrain and spray the side of the block so only the sealing surface gets the high tack, or just spray the tappet cover gasket and make sure the block is bone dry and clean.