Tapping a VP?

BLACK OUT

So I've heard of a people that don't tap their VP and I just bought a Comp and I'm wondering why you wouldn't want to tap it and what are the pro's and con's? :poke:

Pro's you get lots of power, Cons you get to buy and new VP44.
Just do it, you won't regret it.
People who don't tap are scared the IP will fail, it's days are numbered anyways.

If you buy a Comp and don't tap the wire, you might as well save your money and just buy the EZ. The Comp will only give you around 65hp without the tap. When you tap the wire, it steps it up to 120 (I think).

If you decide to tap, just be prepared for a new IP. There are a few that die soon after tapping, although most of those were probably dying for a long time. Others live a somewhat longer life...but they all go sometime.

Tap that bad boy. It's the only real way to get power from these things.
I would wait a few weeks on a new pump just to make sure it's not a ''lemon''.
For warranty issues. It's the first thing they look for. Yes they can tell, even with the little pin prick taps.
It will make your mileage go down a little.

Tap it...... Mine has been tapped forever, and I'll never drive an untapped pig again

Yeah I just got done putting it in but I didn't have time to tap it but from what I can tell that little bit of power makes a big difference! Now I'm regreating that I put it in before I got my TC and VB done. I thought I would have enough self control to keep my foot out of it. :hehe: :badidea: :hehe: So I think I better wait on taping it till then so I don't have to buy a whole new tranny

K that's good to know. Now I just have to figure out how to tap it when the time comes. I was looking on Edges web site and their instructions are horrable and there helpful picture are of the whole motor and don't even point in the right spot. It's like giving someone a picture of afganistan and saying there's O'sama!

Very easy, uppermost wire that is closest to the block. If you have the stock VP, you are just living on borrowed time anyway. The stock pump has a very large failure rate, largely due to electrical failure, not mechanical. Most of the replacement pumps (maybe all by now) are supposed to have the upgraded electronics. Tap that sucker and you will realize the full potential of your $$$ spent on the box.

Pull the intake horn and the APPS loose and tapping the wire just got that much easier, if you leave them on and try to do it all you are doing is adding to the frustration level.

Well the chip I bough is used and like I said Edge is no help so what exactly do I need to do to tap the wire? I looked at it and from what edge said you should just be able to pull back the plastic cover and see the wire but the wires were insulated so do I strip them? First timer if you can't tell

I just changed my HO pump that had 240,000 miles on it. 170,000 of that was taped. The pump still lives on another truck but not for long. My $.02 is tap it.

you have an SO pump (its a good thing)

HO was only for 01-02 with the 6speeds. the HO pumps make 10hp/55tq more stock, but when you mod them the HO pumps cant flow as much as the SO pump.

Your injection pump is going to die sooner or later. You might as well tap it and have fun. I ran my stock one for 100k miles tapped and 20k of that was with negative fuel pressure. Only reason I replaced it was I thought it was getting weak. Turns out that wasn't the case and I'm an idiot.

Back