Tapping a VP?

Well the chip I bough is used and like I said Edge is no help so what exactly do I need to do to tap the wire? I looked at it and from what edge said you should just be able to pull back the plastic cover and see the wire but the wires were insulated so do I strip them? First timer if you can't tell

Much as I hate the SOB's, use a scotchlock connector to connect the two wires together. I tried to get one on without pulling the intake horn etc and screwed it up, so my wire tap is now soldered on, bit more work, but worth it IMHO.

u need a wire tap, strip back the insulation it has two wires in it, upper most closest to the block. u can use a side by side wire tap or splice since u don't have the original splice. any parts store should have these. u will need fass system stock lift pump can't keep up...

There is another alternative to tapping the wire. You can order a pump cover from someone like Blue Chip Diesel.

Blue Chip “VP44 Injection Pump Cover “ $49.95

This can be used with our FMS and Redline products (and on a lot of our competitor's FUELING performance products) to hide the connection on the injection pump. This pump cover also makes a much better weatherproof connection to the injection pump solenoid wire. If you remove our cover and replace it with the OEM metal pump cover before seeking warranty consideration you have a much better chance of satisfaction.

25 Torx Plus Tamperproof Bit to remove screws on pump cover $8.45

Basically, you pull the cover off the top of the pump. The new cover installs in place of the stock one. On that cover, there is a small screw that you tighten down after all the bolts are in place. It pierces the circuit board of the injector pump where that wire connects. Instant tap.

Ran one for a long time, but when I replaced my pump I just went ahead and soldered the connection while it was on the bench. Much easier.

There is another alternative to tapping the wire. You can order a pump cover from someone like Blue Chip Diesel.

Blue Chip “VP44 Injection Pump Cover “ $49.95

This can be used with our FMS and Redline products (and on a lot of our competitor's FUELING performance products) to hide the connection on the injection pump. This pump cover also makes a much better weatherproof connection to the injection pump solenoid wire. If you remove our cover and replace it with the OEM metal pump cover before seeking warranty consideration you have a much better chance of satisfaction.

25 Torx Plus Tamperproof Bit to remove screws on pump cover $8.45

Basically, you pull the cover off the top of the pump. The new cover installs in place of the stock one. On that cover, there is a small screw that you tighten down after all the bolts are in place. It pierces the circuit board of the injector pump where that wire connects. Instant tap.

Ran one for a long time, but when I replaced my pump I just went ahead and soldered the connection while it was on the bench. Much easier.
This is what I used when I ran a VP/Edge Drag Comp-

$.02Tap that ho LOL LOL :rockwoot:

I'm with these guys, although a fuel pressure gauge is a good idea if you don't have one already. I installed mine and tapped the wire the night I brought the truck home. 50K later I still haven't had a single issue with my VP. I did have a weak Lift pump though and with the extra fuel I was able to draw it down pretty low.
Sean

This is what I used when I ran a VP/Edge Drag Comp-

$.02Tap that ho LOL LOL :rockwoot:

Hmmm... That didn't happen to be the drag comp I'm running now is it? :hehe: Yeah I've already up graded my fuel system and have got a fuel pressure gauge on it. Don't worry I decided to tap it this weekend while i'm under the hood with some other goodies. I don't know if the cover is worth it right now cause I'm pretty sure my VP's day's are numbered. But hopefully that doesn't happen to soon

I tapped mine and then 20 minutes later after making 40psi on a newer VP with 4000 miles on it, IT DIED! The pump seized. I have a Fass150/150 on there too. Its being replaced as we speak!

Mike

I tapped mine and then 20 minutes later after making 40psi on a newer VP with 4000 miles on it, IT DIED! The pump seized. I have a Fass150/150 on there too. Its being replaced as we speak!

Mike

Dang it Mike that's not something I wanted to hear right now! :kick: If that happens I'm not sure if I'd fix the pump or stick my 12v motor in it....

Mike

I would definitely say that you are not the norm and that that pump was gonna have an early death whether you tapped it or not.

The 40 PSI proably had something to do with it....I heard the can only take a certain PSI before it starts blowing out seals or something....I think it was around 30 psi?

Does anyone know how to tap the pump without getting a pump cover cause my injection pump is only a week old and I don't want the warranty to be voided even though it should last. The guy who changed it out, said theres a way he does it that won't void the warranty

Getting the cover is your best bet of no detection.
Not true.... The cover is the best means of tapping a VP as the pierced wire will not have an erratic connection. The VP will still show the wire being pierced, thus voiding any warranty........

as soon as i turned my edge drag comp on my fuell psi would drop below 5 psi with the stock fuel pump, thus killing my vp44. even with the comp off and no other mods fuel psi would drop below 5 psi above 3k rpm. got the fass and it runs great. after i got a new hot rod vp44. fuel psi stays at 15-17 psi no matter what rpm or throttle position

Does anyone know how to tap the pump without getting a pump cover cause my injection pump is only a week old and I don't want the warranty to be voided even though it should last. The guy who changed it out, said theres a way he does it that won't void the warranty

Tapping the pump always voids the warranty (IIRC Blue Chip will warranty wire tapped pumps) the cover just makes it harder for them to find it. They can still tell if they know where to look.

Back