TC Lock up Switch

1911 guy

Trunk Monkey
Hi. Im trying to run a switch to my TCC, Ive found the wire for the TCC, but am not able to find which terminals in the relay to jump in order to keep from throwing an engine code. Thanks.

1911 guy said:
Hi. Im trying to run a switch to my TCC, Ive found the wire for the TCC, but am not able to find which terminals in the relay to jump in order to keep from throwing an engine code. Thanks.

Jump 87 and 30 on the tranny relay. Run a jumper wire from the #7 pin on the tranny harness to a toggle switch and then to ground. You have to use a 2 prong switch rated to at least 15 amps. Good luck.

Run from that switch. That 35 cent switch has killed more nice tranny parts than anything. LOL
Seriously, that switch is powerful. Use it wisely.

leave the line hard, let it shift to second, flip the mystery switch and hold on. i have had people riding with me and did this very exercise and the remarks are hilarious! i have had many of people grab for the oh-sh!t handle! but like tim says "use it wisely."...cough....cough...

1911 guy said:
Hey there sootman. That did the trick, thanks alot.

It is dangerous but much more reliable than those tranny controllers. Never lock it up under 35mph.:Cheer:

sootman said:
It is dangerous but much more reliable than those tranny controllers. Never lock it up under 35mph.:Cheer:

I'm getting ready to have Jeff wire me a lockup as well.....

What are ALL the NO NO's for the swich?????

I've got a SC triple Disk, Flex Plate, Only a Billet Input, Gamonized, Double Deep Pan..........

Why NOT under 35mph?...........I know not to lock it in 1st and wait till it hits 2nd.........

Is it Only to be used for dragracing launches or can I use it on the road?

I just wanna know all I can before I do it....Jeff's already warned me to use it sparingly...

Last edited:
Seems like you could put a lot more hurt on a tranny shifting locked into OD than in 1st? What's the reasoning for not locking in low gear?

Well, considering the gear multiplcation and the lack of rpm... if you lock the converter in 1st gear it will usually shudder really hard and kill the truck or if you launch it hard you have a 90% chance of twisting even a billet shaft with a triple disc. If you are towing I would use the lock up after 35mph. This is a safe limit to stay above considering vehicle speed, weight of truck, and gearing. You will usually see better fuel economy and low temps when locked up in 2nd or 3rd gears. I install a indicator light inline before the toggle switch. It is like a dumbass proof item that can save your tranny. I put them on the a-pillar where you can see and notice it. When it is OFF you are in lock up, so make sure that light is glowin' before you come to a stop.:doh: It also doubles as a security device, because it only goes out when the converter circuit is sent to ground.:Cheer:

Hmmmm lack of RPM makes sense but not gear multiplication. For example, with a manual you can smash it in 2nd and you're not seemingly putting as much stress on things as when you bury it in 5th. Could you not lock it in 1st when rpms had reach a sufficient level? The low rpm strain would be there as it shifts into the next highest gear whether it's 2nd or OD it seems. I've resisted locking mine until after it shifts into OD but I want to start playing. Boost jumps 10lbs when it locks and hold on. Probably just burn them off locking down low anyway.

sootman said:
I install a indicator light inline before the toggle switch. It is like a dumbass proof item that can save your tranny. I put them on the a-pillar where you can see and notice it. When it is OFF you are in lock up, so make sure that light is glowin' before you come to a stop.:doh: It also doubles as a security device, because it only goes out when the converter circuit is sent to ground.:Cheer:

and who's idea was that? :thankyou2:

sootman said:
Could you emphathize alittle more on "those tranny controllers" and reliability? I've been looking at some of them for more control over the TCM.:poke:

jamesl said:
leave the line hard, let it shift to second, flip the mystery switch and hold on. i have had people riding with me and did this very exercise and the remarks are hilarious! i have had many of people grab for the oh-sh!t handle! but like tim says "use it wisely."...cough....cough...
LOL yep comments now my wife is about 5 foot flat and so this truck is like a school bus to her. i made her drive it one night she was driving like a grand ma i said give the thing some fuel woman and she got mad "i love it" and laid into it from a stop sign i let it get about 40 and reached up and hit the switch :hehe: and she went from fighting mad to loading up her drawers.
her quote was a very loud OOOOOOH thats to fast . :rockwoot:

973604x4 said:
and who's idea was that? :thankyou2:

i think i would want the light on when locked and off when not but then i guess since i work nights the light on would be better as a aid to me.

moneymaker44 said:
i think i would want the light on when locked and off when not but then i guess since i work nights the light on would be better as a aid to me.

its that way because of how its wired. Thats the only simple way to wire a light into the circuit.

about tranny controllers....i know Sootman had all kinds of hell with TS Lock-Up boxes. I had ordered one too but after Sootman tried it on 2 trucks with no luck, we sent mine back to TS for a refund.

ATS controllers are expensive....a switch, wire, and indicator light is a lot more "cost effective"

sootman said:
if you lock the converter in 1st gear:
My TC lockup switch wouldnt lock up in 1st gear on my last truck, and I was told they dont lock till they get into 2nd. I could keep the truck down in 1st flip the switch and come to a dead stop no prob....I think it was on TST's site where I seen it said that. Correct me if I'm wrong or maybe it was just something different on the 47re.