TDI question

Graphic Man

for you guys that are into TDI's

what years should i stay away from and what to look for when buying a used one......looking at 2000 -2002 for a DD

i hear stay away from the auto...anything else?

Thanks
Scott

A 2000 to a 2002 is good, it will have the ALH motor in it. Those are very good little 90HP motors, but it's cheap and easy to modify to get a little more pep out of them.

That's good you know to stay away from the automatics, they have very weak transmissions.

Make sure the timing belt has been taken care of, if not, then plan on having it at least checked very soon.

Some have had problems with the Glow Plugs.

Good luck! You are sure to enjoy your TDI, they are very fun cars!!

:)

I have 2001 tdi 130 hp passat and automatic transmission. The revers gear was missing some day and to fix it cost 700$+work. My car take about 34mpg in city and about 41mpg in highway.
My sister have 2003 tdi 90hp skoda octavia whit manual transmission and hes car take about 41 mpg in city and about 54 mpg in highway.
And like yetta girl told make sure the timing belt and rolls has been taken care of.

I have a 2002 Jetta TDI. It's an automatic w/ 95k miles and runs well, shifts perfect. I installed injector tips, Programming, and an air intake. The Air Intake increases the noise significantly, a new stock filter would do fine. The car is much more fun to drive now than stock. Blows a little smoke, spins the front tires, and still get's 44mpg city and 50+ highway.

I would stay away from the 99.5 and go with 2000+. Very nice cars.

the ALH goes from 1999.5-2003
The pd goes from 2004-2006

The pds have cam issues and will not last as long or get as good economy as the alh ve pump styles.

I have a 2000 Jetta with the manual trans 50+ MPG 150,000 miles and no problems so far.*****Knocks on wood to avoid bad luck soon.**** :hehe::hehe:

i picked up a 2000 Jetta TDI fully loaded 5 speed about 3 months ago.....getting about 45MPG

Thanks

...it's going to stay stock......I'll just keep spending on the truck :evil

Absolutely!!
That's what im doing....I bought a 2002 GOLF TDI 5sp. with only 65K on it back in March and Love this thing....I haul all my police equipment around in it all the time and I weigh 250 lbs and around town(All stop and go, all the time) I get 35ish mpg....Hwy. Driving it like I stole it (80-90mph) I still get 45+.....I just can't drive it slow!! LOL

Anyway, I'm keeping it Completely stock....My truck (and recent Carnage) get every extra $ I've got!!!!

Congrats on the purchase!!

So 99.5- 2003 are direct injected with a VE, 2004-2006 are direct injected pump douches?

What did they have before 99.5?

Do they got electronics on the 99.5-2003 VE's? I had no idea they used VE's that late.

IIRC 95-99 they also used a ve pump in a 1.9l style but with a wg turbo on either an aaz or ahu engine code. VW just released the CR in 09' so we are a little behind the times! I personally cant wait to get my hand on a new motor ;) to play with....

Back