Texas CDL/Exemption?

David

Multifueler
Anybody in Texas ever got a Class A without the commercial endorsement?

Have a semi and trailer, only looking to haul toys for my personal fun and enjoyment.

I want to go take my test with a bigazz motor home. Diesel pusher with air brakes. It can be done I have a friend with just a class a non cdl license

When did they change it? I claim TX residency and when I talked to the DMV I needed atleast a Class B to haul my personnal trailer as I gross out at 35k lbs. I just got my VA CDL in the mail yesterday and was going to roll it back to TX on my next trip back.

Anybody in Texas ever got a Class A without the commercial endorsement?

Have a semi and trailer, only looking to haul toys for my personal fun and enjoyment.

Unless you can register it as an RV it will still require a class A CDL.

When did they change it? I claim TX residency and when I talked to the DMV I needed atleast a Class B to haul my personnal trailer as I gross out at 35k lbs. I just got my VA CDL in the mail yesterday and was going to roll it back to TX on my next trip back.

Towing a trailer wil never require a class B. If an upgrade of license is needed for a trailer it would be a class A.

They don't like to give out a class A with out the commercial endorsement. Fire men get it all the time. The motor home/ big bus type seems to be the easiest way to get it.

They don't like to give out a class A with out the commercial endorsement. Fire men get it all the time. The motor home/ big bus type seems to be the easiest way to get it.

Why would they not want to give one out? Non-commercial class-As have been available in TX for quite a long time.

The following listed Class A, B, C, and M licenses will be issued to persons who are exempt from obtaining a Commercial Driver License or persons who are not required to obtain a Commercial Driver License:

1. Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination
of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or
more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed
is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or
Class C, except a motorcycle or moped.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/documents/DL-7.pdf

The info is on page 1-4

Why would they not want to give one out? Non-commercial class-As have been available in TX for quite a long time.

The following listed Class A, B, C, and M licenses will be issued to persons who are exempt from obtaining a Commercial Driver License or persons who are not required to obtain a Commercial Driver License:

1. Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination
of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or
more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed
is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or
Class C, except a motorcycle or moped.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/documents/DL-7.pdf

The info is on page 1-4

if you are not moving COMMERCE then you do not need one.. all you need is and "air brake" endorsment or similar to drivve some thing that has air brakes are a POV

if you are not moving COMMERCE then you do not need one.. all you need is and "air brake" endorsment or similar to drivve some thing that has air brakes are a POV

There is no such thing as an air brake endorsement, in the states.

if you are not moving COMMERCE then you do not need one..

You don't need one WHAT? In TX you need a class A drivers license to operate a combination (tow vehicle and trailer) when the GCWR of both exceeds 26,000 lbs and the trailer's GVWR exceeds 10,000 lbs. If you are commercial it is a CDL-A, if it is a personnal rig it is a non-commercial class A, which is the part of the drivers handbook that I quoted. Seems pretty simple to me.

You don't need one WHAT? In TX you need a class A drivers license to operate a combination (tow vehicle and trailer) when the GCWR of both exceeds 26,000 lbs and the trailer's GVWR exceeds 10,000 lbs. If you are commercial it is a CDL-A, if it is a personnal rig it is a non-commercial class A, which is the part of the drivers handbook that I quoted. Seems pretty simple to me.

read the whole thing! FMCSR
a CDL is for a vehicle moving COMMERCE. if you are not moving COMMERCE then you dont need at CDL A, B, or C. just the endorsments/pass test that says you know how to safely operate said vehicle.
i can buy and drive a class 8 as a DD with out a CDL as long as i have an endorsment that say i know how to operate a air brake equiped vehicle safely and not using it to make money/moving commerce.

read the whole thing! FMCSR
a CDL is for a vehicle moving COMMERCE. if you are not moving COMMERCE then you dont need at CDL A, B, or C. just the endorsments/pass test that says you know how to safely operate said vehicle.
i can buy and drive a class 8 as a DD with out a CDL as long as i have an endorsment that say i know how to operate a air brake equiped vehicle safely and not using it to make money/moving commerce.

I AM a commercial driver, I know about FMCSA. What does that have to do with the TX requirement for a (I will type this slowly) NON-COMMERCIAL class A drivers license? Once again, it is not a CDL-A, it is a NON-COMMERCIAL class A drivers license. It allows TX residents to operate large combos and does not require a medical certificate. There are other states that also have NON-COMMERCIAL class A drivers licenses. Two that I am aware of are PA and CA, although the one in CA has different weight requirements and is only required for large RV trailers.

Here is another interesting fact you can chew on. CA requires their residents to hold a CDL-A to pull any non RV trailer with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds. They also require a CDL-A with doubles endorsement to pull RV doubles. (Like a 5er/boat) They make no distinction of commercial or not or GCWR, it applies to everyone. In TX, OK, AZ, NM, CO, UT and more only a regular DL is required. Sort of blows your theory out of water about CDLs being limited to commerce. Any state can set it's own requirements for private vehicles. If you read the Oregon DMV link it would appear that their regular class C license would not allow combos over 26,000 GCWR with a trailer over 10,000 GVWR. That leaves only a CDL-A if you are a resident of that state.

The point is, when talking about non-commercial vehicles, every state does not have the same requirements. There is not a standard like FMCSA.

Which is effectively the same thing,

Nope. Not the same thing.

if you don't pass the air brake test you can't drive an air brake equipped vehicle.

Nope. Not exactly. You only need to pass an air brake test in order to drive an air brake equipped vehicle that would otherwise require a CDL.

Nothing of the such comes into play for "under CDL" trucks or RVs.

Good luck getting that endorsement. Did you miss the part about there not being such a thing?

Also many think you don't need a CDL if it is not "making money". This is not true. The only one that don't need a CDL are things that are explicitly exempt. Like RVs, farmers within 150 mile, firemen etc.

If I still had my license laying around from 05 I would clearly show you a picture of one that says "airbrake endorsement"

Nope. Not the same thing.

Nope. Not exactly. You only need to pass an air brake test in order to drive an air brake equipped vehicle that would otherwise require a CDL.

Nothing of the such comes into play for "under CDL" trucks or RVs.

That makes 0 sense. If you get a cdl and don't take the air brake test, there's a mark in the restriction category. To get it removed you have to pass the test, therefore it works basically the same as an endorsement.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

That makes 0 sense. If you get a cdl and don't take the air brake test, there's a mark in the restriction category. To get it removed you have to pass the test, therefore it works basically the same as an endorsement.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Yep, pretty much.

Idaho doesn't have an "endorsement" you either have a class A cdl or a class D normal drivers liccense, we keep it simple LOL

Back