Texas CDL/Exemption?

I have a buddie that has tried to drop his cdl but keep his class A. He has been told more than a few times no. Some more of the well informed state employees

Why is that you have to take a written test for air brakes, and use a vehicle with air brakes, to get a license allowing you to drive a vehicle with air brakes?
So far you've said nothing about any of this that makes sense.

Because if you don't do the airbrake part you will get a restricted class A CDL instead of a CDL with an airbrake endorsement. Effectively the same but a big difference. Maily because you can't just use a truck that meets the wieght limit.*bdh*

You can't dump the CDL without getting a regular liscence. He could probably downgrade it to the other version TX now offers. I think they called it a Class B. It is for the avg guy to haul his own stuff without needing to do all the medical crap. Probably have to call DPS and ask them for specifics. I didn't see it online but this is what I was told I needed by the DOT enforcement guys. I had to get mine in VA (TX resident) and they only offer a CDL so that is what I have. Be interesting when I roll it back to TX.

You can't dump the CDL without getting a regular liscence. He could probably downgrade it to the other version TX now offers. I think they called it a Class B. It is for the avg guy to haul his own stuff without needing to do all the medical crap. Probably have to call DPS and ask them for specifics. I didn't see it online but this is what I was told I needed by the DOT enforcement guys. I had to get mine in VA (TX resident) and they only offer a CDL so that is what I have. Be interesting when I roll it back to TX.

The DOT enforcement guys do not have a thing to do with non-commercial licenses so whatever they told you was probably a guess. If it was in VA they would certainly be clueless about what TX has.

A non-commercial class B in TX has the same weight restrictions as a CDL-B. It does not allow you to pull a trailer over 10,000 GVWR when the GCWR is over 26,000.

Quit guessing about a subject you are obviously uneducated about. It just causes confusion among the other non-educated readers.

Dealt with TX on this issue specifically. I talked to every single person you can think of in TX and ended up at DOT enforcement. I needed to upgrade my Lis to gross 35k with a 20K trailer. Just bring back what I was told by them as what I would need to stay out of trouble by rolling across the scales. I work out of state and am a TX resident. I had to roll my Liscence to VA to upgrade it. Va doesn't have a non comm so now I have a VA Class A CDL. Next time I go TX I need to revert my liscence. Probably just keep it commercial and deal with getting the med cert every two years until they change that up. For what it is worth. according to the code enforement folks non comms still need to roll the scales but do not need to have logs, DOT numbers and the like. Still need the safety equipment. Med card was qouted as needed by some and not by others.

That was directed at popo sayin there's not a endorsement or restriction for airbrakes.

I have an Ohio class A cdl. I took my test in a tractor trailer with airbrakes. My license says "Restrictions: A - None" and "Endorsements: N - Tank"

When I got my temporary permit I told the examiner I need an airbrake endorsement and he corrected me and said it is considered a restriction not an endorsement. This is why airbrakes are not mentioned anywhere on my license; front or back.

To me airbrakes definitely seem like an endorsement, but to the state of Ohio they are a restriction.

Why is that you have to take a written test for air brakes, and use a vehicle with air brakes, to get a license allowing you to drive a vehicle with air brakes?
So far you've said nothing about any of this that makes sense.

Ther is no such thing as an air brake endorsement.

What part of that doesn't make sense?

Back