Thanks dalpilot

Snake

40 lug nuts
Just wanted to give you a public "Thank you" for your help the other day...

To bring the rest of you in on what happened -- I was installing my gauges and had a question about what size drill bit to use for the exhaust manifold (probe for the pyro). I started going through a few different places looking for the resident experts, found dalpilot's #, and gave him a call out of the blue. We've never even exchanged posts or IM's on any of the boards so he didn't know me from nothing. :hehe: But he called me back quickly and took the time to figure out the answer to my question.

Thanks Tim! :thankyou2: :bow: That's one of the things that makes this site great!

And I'm up and running now -- the gauges work perfect.

--Snake

GO TIMMY!!! good thing you didn't ask him to come help...he would have had to sanitize your truck first...couldn't get any grease under his nails. Might throw off the PH of his flower bed.

Mke, no problem, I'm just glad I could help. I've drilled and tapped about 6 of them thus far, and after the first time of taking a drill to your 45K truck it gets easier.

SBC: I carry around sanitizer, and some surgically approved latex gloves. Nothing worse than a wilting bouganvilla. LOL LOL

so heres a qestion, How did you drill yours? Did you have the engine running or did you put grease on the bit, or did you just drill the hole with small increments at a time, or did you end up using just one bit? These are all the different ways I have heard of doing this and I was just wondering which one is the correct way of doing this. Thanks guys!!

2001shrtbedcmns said:
GO TIMMY!!! good thing you didn't ask him to come help...he would have had to sanitize your truck first...couldn't get any grease under his nails. Might throw off the PH of his flower bed.

:hehe: LOL

That's funny right there, I don't care who ya are....

--Snake

Drill it with a small bit, then hit it with your 3/8ths bit, then stick a wet dry vac up there, and suck it out. Then start it, and let it run. Anything thats left is small enough, and will blow past the turbo long before it spools up enough to hurt anything.

Dalpilot said:
SBC: I carry around sanitizer, and some surgically approved latex gloves. Nothing worse than a wilting bouganvilla. LOL LOL
Did you know soil ph will actually change the color of the flowers on a hydrangea ? So the ph change may be a good thing.

I've always just used one bit....21/64" for the 1/8npt or 7/16" for the 1/4npt if I remember correctly.

Most of the shavings fall down, beyond that, stick a magnet up in the hole and then install the probe.

I had a 1/8" NPT fitting......

So I started with a very small bit and drilled a pilot hole, then gradually worked my way up to a 21/64". I jumped up two drill bit sizes until I reached the desired diameter. Tim said 3/8" and I think it would work -- but we drilled a piece of angle iron with the 3/8" bit and then tapped it. The threads were a little too light for my taste so we repeated the process with the 21/64" bit. The threads wee much more pronounced and the fitting screwed in just fine so that's the route we went.

I didn't use any grease, but did use plenty of WD-40 to keep the tap happy. While the grease may help the shavings stick to your bit, it'll also help the shavings stick to the inside of your manifold. Not where you want them, and a shop vac ain't gonna suck that out. Last thing you want to do is break the tap off in your manifold so go S L O W. Take a break as its going in to let it cool. And as mentioned, stick a shop vac to the new hole and let it work its magic. I also hammered the manifold with a rubber mallet as I was using the shop vac to try to dislodge anything that might have been sitting in there. A magnet is a great idea!

IMO, you don't want to have the motor running. I've heard this mentioned on another board and I think its one of the craziest things I've heard. The belief that the pressure will blow the shavings out the hole you're drilling doesn't make any sense to me -- how are the shavings going to go out the hole that has a drill bit in it? The path of least resistance is to the turbo, and you don't want the shavings going there.....

--Snake

Ok, I gotta know why you wouldn't take the manifold off and be safe about it? It's a pain in the ass, but good grief, I don't think I could live with myself had I tried to drill it in the engine bay. Where did you have room to drill the hole? Pointing down? Up? toward fender?

Good luck to anyone either way.

Drill the driver side at the rear...bottom side.
I have my own technique....never had any issues and I've drilled probably 50 Ford maniflods on the truck.
I use an old speaker magnet....the donut looking ones. I stick it on the manifold then drill through the middle of it. Any shavings that fly off inside the manifold are sucked down to the magnetized area....once it's tapped I pull it off then use a small, telescoping magnet to reach in and grab the shavings.
And a 21/64 is the correct size for a 1/8" NPT tap.

do you think drilling from the bottom disrupts the airflow anymore than the instructed way? I drilled mine as instructed and it seemed to make sense to me straight in from the driver side horizontal, kind of angled with the exhaust flow towards the firewall. Probably not even a drop in the ocean difference.