The 06' Difference?

How interesting. Lower pressure=less atomization=less compleatly burned fuel=more fuel to do same job=less fuel milage. Advanced timing and extended duration=more EGT=more fuel in before and after piston at optimum location (crank angle degrees)=possible washing of walls with diesel fuel spray, star patterns on top of pistons where the fuel makes no power=possible predetonation=compression of predetonation=extreme peak cylinder pressures. The latter part can be more of a factor with aftermarket programing control. Wonder what Dodges thinking is if they really do lower the pressures? Pressures between the CR cummins and the dmax use to be the same. Now the LBZ uses higher pressures. Doug and Nick in the Diesel Power Challenge were both only around 500hp on #2 at the time on stock injects and turbos. Just an observation and some questions.

Last edited:
maybe they are making larger holes in the injectors to cut down on the duration field? Then again..........

Larger holes=less atomization=......... I'm interested to hear for sure if they realy are lowering the rail pressure. Back ward move? Hope not.

super diesel said:
Larger holes=less atomization=......... I'm interested to hear for sure if they realy are lowering the rail pressure. Back ward move? Hope not.

true, large holes = less atomization.

I wonder if this fuel burns better @ Idle? I wonder if it burns faster?

Are the springs on an 06' any different? I thought they had more load #?

I hooked a Edge EZ to a early 06 and the truck had a rattle to it that was bad. The rail pressure relief valve was buringing hot in about 30 seconds. I had to take the Edge off and just run the Juice/attitude. I was hoping to stack both. On my truck build date 06/06 if the rail pressure is lower then I should be able to install the EZ. As I understand the Cummins increase the rail pressure a couple of times from 03-04 to 04-05 to 06. Then now they dropped the rail in 06/06? I will try a EZ tomorrow and see what the rail pressure runs and see if the injectors rattle. Any one know the relationship between rail pressure sensor voltage and PSI?

Thanks

Malcolm

You probably already know this but from what I remember the rail pressure is in excess of 20,000 psi (24,500 to 27,000) and the voltage is a simple on / off (3V) max. I'm not 100% possitive though.

Last edited:
Your right about the high pressure but I think that the fuel pressure regulated from idle to WOT. At idle the pressure could be 5000 psi and at WOT it could be 27,000 psi. The rail pressure sensor voltage would follow this pressure curve.

I have not measured the pressures I was specualting what they could be.
Got to get me a gauge to measure up to 30,000 psi.

Malcolm

The rail is around 4900-5100 at idle and varies up to 23,000 psi at higher throttle settings. The voltage to the reg varies depending on fuel amount required to keep the rail pressure at what is being comanded from the computer. It is a control system that uses milamps to control the reg that inturn controls the pressure to the pump and in the rails. It reads the pressure info from the sensor on the rail and tell the computer what it needs. I've only been working hands on with the system for a few years now.

Malcolm, you will need a pressure transducer with a digital display that recalls for use, or you can splice in another pig tail to the sensor on the rail and convert the volts being read into pressure. The stock sensor is limited on how high it will read however.

Last edited:
How high will it read? And, can you replace it with something that will read 40k?

I haved looked at a few transducers on the market fairly pricy. I know there was someone offering a rail pressure gauge that would work off of the stock sensor. If anyone has the voltage/pressure info that would be great. The Dodge service manual does not seem to have that kind of info.

Thanks

Malcolm

i have a 12 05 truck 06 acording to dodge...i believe the inject them selves are dif they have some multi spray function they can change spay patterens or somthin like that....as for mpg its great on the high way in stock set 18-19 in 1 or 2 20-22....in town 17-18 if u stay out of the gas... i have a 6speed...so that helps....i have the edge with hot mode....cant make a full pull i hot it just spikes egts....besides that i love it ive pulled 13000 pounds up medium grade a 60 no prob....

The only bit I found on the internet was that the Voltage of that little gizmo was from 0.5 to 4.5V (a peak voltage of 5V). It seems to state that the higher the voltage goes the lower the rail pressure is. Now, maybe that doesn't apply to the Dodge CTD but this was for a Cummins motor. I'll see if I can dig more up somewhere.

Rail pressures go from 3,000 at idle to 27,000 max but safe operating pressure is set to somewhere around 24,500.

It would be nice to have a 34k system like those on the Audi's.........

Based on my internet research I'm confident that this is the limit. However, I haven't seen any first hand numbers.