The fat kid rides the short bus

A friend of mine was running a 4094R on his 98 24v. It didn't seem much worse than the 66/73 I ran on mine, although he had more surge than would be desirable. A cam would help that. I think the CR would make it worse, since they'll drive the charger harder, but the cam is slightly worse and head flow doesn't really make up for it.

My 3788R .89a/r from Tom spooled superfast on stock fuel. It also surged something terrible. So I cammed the truck and put the 130's in. At sea level it was hard to make it surge unloaded but towing was an absolute nightmare. At elevation it again became nearly unbearable to daily drive due to surge. I've heard the same from another CR owner about the 4094R.

Then you read about guys with Garrett BB's in compounds and they never surge. Which makes sense b/c the secondary doesn't have a choice on whether or not to accept the air.

Point I'm making, is in my experience and some others, don't try to run a Garrett as a single. Cammed or not.

I ran a GT4202R as a single, it never surged.:kick: I never get any surge out of my GT37R/GTX42R twins. This is at 3500'.

If they ran a larger turbine to the compressor wheel, it would be much better. A GT4294 won't be as bad as the GT4094 (although the GT42 has a bigger comp wheel). GT4088 wouldn't be as bad as a GT3788.

Last edited:
I've ran several combos of gt37 on my 12v. Some worked some didn't. Started as 3788r .99a/r. Ran very well. Spooled fast pulled hard up top. Then put a .89a/r housing on it. Spooled supercharger fast but lost a considerable amount of top end. The difference I noticed is that in 4th gear going 50mph I could go WOT and it would break the tires loose and I could do a rolling 4th gear burnout(hard on tires) with the .89. When I attempted the same thing with the .99 it would just bog the engine. Also I order a 4094 backplate, comp wheel, comp cover for it. Naturally with a ~68/94mm comp wheel on there with the baby turbine wheel it surged insanely. Massive exhaust temp as well. With the .89 I couldn't even give it over half throttle unless above 2300 rpms without the boost gauge fluttering 10psi or more. Was very fun in 5th gear at 2500+ rpms tho! Then I tried the .99. Was much much better but still sub par. Did gain 13psi over the .89 tho for a total of 58psi.

Sold the turbo with the 63.5 wheel on and kept the 4094 for a rainy day. Then put a stage two on ~62/82mm comp .89 a/r exhaust. Loved that turbo far far more than any setup prior. Sadly there is terrible support for the 3782r tho. Any questions just ask.