the next steps turbo intercooler maybe who knows?

countryman2672

I have a 2005 dodge ram 2500 5.9 six speed with afe stage one, straight through (home made) 4in exhaust (cleared the cat conveter and straight through muffler), smarty sr(I want to run tnt), sbdd 3600, and ad 165 on the way. What should I do next I use the truck in business so id like to cut the smoke a little. I heard turbo or twin turbos would help but the 05 has the plastic intercooler and also I REALLY REALLY DO NOT want head studs. any other suggestions would help and oh yeah I have 35in tires that might explain something....

turbo... that is where i would start... probably go with a stage 2 .... just depends on the price range you have...
these guys will help out alot... alot of great guys on here

I was referred here from a friend and thats exactly what he said. Anyway what turbo do you recomend?

No "stage 2".......get the intercooler taken care of first then talk to someone who knows what they're doing. Be realistic with your goals and intended uses of the truck and they can properly size a turbo for you.

turbo... that is where i would start... probably go with a stage 2 .... just depends on the price range you have...
these guys will help out alot... alot of great guys on here

Ricers use terms like "Stage 2" since there isnt a set standard for "Stages" when it comes to diesels, you should probaby leave that over at CF.

I would go with an intercooler, then a good set of towing twins, and hate to tell you this, but you are probably going to need head studs eventually.

okay sorry mis unnderstood Im knew to the whole diesel thing and im only 17 so im still figuring out the terms

that was my guess and great didnt want to hear that haha but oh well I guess Ill have to then. Is there any good turbo to start as a single that would improve my problem or just be a better turbo or one that would make a good start for twins. maybe a kit to use my stock turbo and add one?

You need to figure out what your power goal is and build towards that before you throw away any more money.

Tough to tow with >450HP, and you can't use more than 600HP on public roads for very long without earning a vacation in the hospital or county jail.

My suggestion...

Build the support equipment first... THEN worry about the go fast goodies.

FIRST thing on your list should be a set of gauges.

SECOND should be getting rid of that dumb plastic tank intercooler... Even if it's just for a Stock Aluminum one.

THIRD I would SERIOUSLY recommend at least a set of ARP 2000's Head Studs.

Looks like you've got the rest of the basics covered with the Exhaust, Programmer, and AD165.

Once you get those 3 things done you could start lookin' into a small aftermarket charger... I'd say something along the lines of a 62mm compressor w/ a 13 Turbine housing... Not sure what size turbine I'd run though. Maybe a 64 compressor even bein' that you've got the 6 speed.

I already have gauges I added that to the sig after I posted the additional question. For an intercooler I was looking at banks because of all it includes as well as the price. any pros cons?

jilbert first love the profile picture or what ever its called and second have you had experience with it? I did a little research and it said it does great with the smarty stacked....down the line when i want more power. Thanks

xlr8r I would eventually like to match the power to my clutch 750 1300, but thats eventually down the line. Ive seen some 800+hp truck tow fine and they havent wrecked or gotten arrested.

As stated before you'll want to get rid of that intercooler even for a stock one with the metal end tanks. A stock cooler will net you plenty for what you're aiming for more than likely.

But what you have to consider when you go to turbo, injectors, etc is you're pressure inside the motor is definatly going to increase and it would honestly be ignorant to avoid head studs at an aim of 800hp or you are almost guaranteed to blow a head gasket. $400 in head studs is much cheaper than dumping coolant into the block.

Third don't forget that whatever turbo(s) you end up going with you want to be sure that they will still be able to drive half as* efficiently when detuned because those 800+ trucks you mention I guarantee aren't towing anything heavy with everything turned up. Not for more than a feww hundred feet anyhow, and if they do they're probably asking for it.

But anyways as stated before I'd work on

1) Intercooler

2) Head Studs (ARP 2000's will be fine)

3) Turbo(s)

4) Nozzles (I wouldn't recommend anything larger than a 90hp if you're towing)

hey sorry about the "stage two" thing ... aint ever really messed around on forums.... just cross talk between me and buddies...my bad..next time i will make sure that i am clear on what i mean... and... sorry about not knowin what i am doin big nasty....but i do... and he is right set the hp/tq off of what you use the truck for....... you are right there isnt a set "Stage" for turbos when it comes to diesels.... and yes they are right....
1 intercooler
2 head studs
3 turbo
4 nozzles and i agree on the 90hp