The perfect 2.8 turbo?

ILLINOISRAM

INLINE INSANITY
Of course there is not a perfect one. But what my question is directed towards is my truck .

To start the year i was running the s475sx right outta the box with a Scheid 2.8 bushing. Truck ran good, allways spun out at the end, was super easy on the take off with that turbin wheel and 1.10 housing. What i dont know is pretty much all the info you guys will want to know.:lolly: I had a a wiring problem so no factory tach to even begin to give any kind of rpm numbers and i dont run a drive pressure gauge. Not to mention im not a gauge watcher any way so i probably still wouldnt be able to answer your questions.

I got the tach fixed and swapped in a gasser dash plus switched to a E.D. custom 2.8 charger with the big turbine wheel and 1.32 housing and bumped the timing from 35 to 38 degrees. Right off the bat, i noticed it deff. takes stuff to get off the line compared to the other setup. I dont have a problem but a deff noticeable differance. 5k off the line is pretty easy. My first two hooks at Peoria IL were good hooks and spun out at the end on both of them. Cool, this big setup aint that bad is what i thought. Plus when i broke my trans, it was pulling it down and im sure the torqueing is what caused that issue. Since then it wont spin out at the end. The distances are all consistant though still even compared to the old turbo setup.

Nothing is wrong, and im not complaining, im just wondering what yall think would be better, a tighter housing for this exhaust wheel, switch to the 80/87 turbin wheel with a 1.10 or 1.25 housing, or maybe a different turbo period like a gt42 or similar. If you want more setup details, i can give them to i just figured this is long enough for now.

Tim

Alot of folks are keen on the holsets with a billet compressor wheel. Being you have a stick there is a decent amount of flexibility in turbine housings.
A properly designed billet wheel can gain some HP. However it seems that most of the gains are from the compressor side as long as the turbine will support.

Switching turbos picked me up about 8 lbs boost. I would hope i would have hardly any drive pressure over 1:1 with this big unit. Egt are about the same with both turbos in the 15-1600 degree range. So boost is up, surely drive is down which should mean more power, The problem is i honestly cant tell much differance except what i stated earlier that this one is less forgiving on the line and takes more to keep in at the end of the track.

Alot of folks are keen on the holsets with a billet compressor wheel. Being you have a stick there is a decent amount of flexibility in turbine housings.
A properly designed billet wheel can gain some HP. However it seems that most of the gains are from the compressor side as long as the turbine will support.

A couple of tractor buddies have said that an 60 with the billet wheel is the way to go. Right now im just learning and getting plans for the next round of upgrades cause i cant have it all done for scheids anyway. But i have heard alot of good about the garret turbos. A few buddies that run the scheid lightening 20000 turbos really like them.

I just bought i Garrett tv75-12 its an older model Garrett but ill let you know how it performs when i get it and get it all mounted up. Its a 76.6 mm x 102.3 mm by 86.4 mm x 99.1 mm with a .96 exh

I just bought i Garrett tv75-12 its an older model Garrett but ill let you know how it performs when i get it and get it all mounted up. Its a 76.6 mm x 102.3 mm by 86.4 mm x 99.1 mm with a .96 exh

10-4 sounds good. Deff, let us know. I just looked up the turbo in Dans post. What does the trim number actually represent?. I have seen where other refered to the trim as letters (p trim)

Trim is the seperation between the exducer/inducer. Interesting results last week out of some Garrett variations.

This garrett looks to be a good 2.8 turbo GTX-4294R 71T DBB. On garretts website its rated at 950hp 98lbs/min but over on FI website its rated for 1100+. Im guessing the power difference could be from running a different turbine wheel than the 82mm turbine on garretts website and maybe even a t6 exh housing.