thinkin of buyin a first gen have a few ?s

CarolineCummins

Tire Destroyer
well like the title says im thinkin of buyin a 89 for a work truck and id like to get about 350hp out of it i was thinkin fuel screw grindin the fuel pin, 366 spring, bump the timing up a bit, new era 435s and a htt stage IV guages intake and exhaust and throwin in a new converter and shift kit so the trans dont end up like my 48re lol what you guys think about this setup? Pros? Cons? anything im missing? thanks in advance!

i would consider studs you said work truck are you going to pull a lot with it? this setup may get hot pretty quik with no ic or w/m and a heavy trailer but the stage IV should help is that a 60mm or 62mm wheel?

no i wont be doing really any heavy towing any towing i do is about 3k total at sea level and it will be the 60mm wheel

You could do 350 horse but it will be very toasty. I know a guy with 370's and a 60 mm upgrade with a i/c and upgraded fuel lift pump and a standard. He is at 380 or so but very hot.

I love 1st gens, but 350hp with a 2nd gen 12v is about 10 minutes away

Instead of telling him that 2nd gens are better than 1st gens why dont you not say anything and let some people respond that can actually answer his question.

Reasons to buy a 1st gen:
1. They are cheap
2. They have a real front diff with locking hubs and a standard wheel bearing set up
3. 1/2 of the engine is not under the cowl making it a pain in the butt to wrench on
4. They look better (in my opinion, and many others)
5. They are lighter
6. They dont have front suspension/steering problems like 2ng gens
7. No engine or transmission electronics or computers to give you problems
8. They are reliable and simple to upgrade

And the list could keep going...

The point is, the man said he is thinking of buying a 1st gen and he is looking for opinions on his list of upgrades.

I think the list of upgrades looks good although like already stated it will get hot while towing at 350hp with that turbo. I would look into something along the lines of a 62mm s300.

I love 1st gens, but 350hp with a 2nd gen 12v is about 10 minutes away

oh yeah i know lol but im buyin it off of my for cheap and in a few weeks it will be twenty years old and in md that means you can tag it historic and you dont have to inspect it and insurance for a historic vehicle is very cheap so it works out very well lol

he has an '07... a lot of people aren't really that familiar with the differences between 12v's. I was just offering up another suggestion if all he was looking for was a cheap 350hp truck. 2nd gen 12v's are less expensive around here than 1st gens!

Instead of telling him that 2nd gens are better than 1st gens why dont you not say anything and let some people respond that can actually answer his question.

Reasons to buy a 1st gen:
1. They are cheap
2. They have a real front diff with locking hubs and a standard wheel bearing set up
3. 1/2 of the engine is not under the cowl making it a pain in the butt to wrench on
4. They look better (in my opinion, and many others)
5. They are lighter
6. They dont have front suspension/steering problems like 2ng gens
7. No engine or transmission electronics or computers to give you problems
8. They are reliable and simple to upgrade

And the list could keep going...

The point is, the man said he is thinking of buying a 1st gen and he is looking for opinions on his list of upgrades.

I think the list of upgrades looks good although like already stated it will get hot while towing at 350hp with that turbo. I would look into something along the lines of a 62mm s300.

For 350rwhp your H1C, no matter what you do to it will be worthless. You will need at least a 62/71/14.

I might add water/meth injection to that list, works real well on the non-ic trucks.

I agree on the 1st gen list. I paid $2700 for mine, and a p-pump truck would have cost at least 3K more here in CA, not to mention that for about $800, you can get a ve-pump that supports 600+hp. And, the 727 and 518 transmissions can handle a bit of abuse, and still be reliable at more than 500hp. Contrary to popular belief, not everybody runs around with a 1000 hp daily driver. And, 1st gens can be down 200-300hp and be just as fast as newer trucks due to their light weight.

if i had a non ic truck i would try and really open up the intake horn by getting some 2.5" or 3" pipe from the turbo to the head i would think every lil bit of air/flow you get in that head would help...like i stated befor i would consider studs and a new gasket those ol bolts and gasket may be getting a lil tired and with a 60 or 62mm wheeled turbo you can make some high boost numbers...but im not one to talk im spinning my poor lil hx35 up to 50 and can peg a 1,600 degree pyro gauge in a few seconds you know my gasket and bolts are loving it! lol

You can make 350 hp on the stock n/ic sticks that are in it and some pump mods its pretty easy to make 350 with a n/ic first gen but it wil be a bit toasty, You will need to upgrade the charger be it a commpressor upgrade or a 62mm somthin or other

I agree with G-dubs on making a bigger crossover

I would at least retorque the head

A friend and I bought a ricer (think it was for a honda) intercooler off of ebay for like 50 bucks for his 1st gen then just used some mandrel bent 3 inch tubing and some reducer's to make a clean looking set up that cost me about $150ish and worked great. It had a hx35 on it and pushed it to 40 psi with no problem's. Just a thought to make that non intercooled truck intercooled for not alot of cash.

Could i make a fairly cool 350hp with a homemade intercooler setup and an hx40? Tryin to keep as fairly cheap as possible as i can fab up any parts needed for a cheap I\C setup

if you use all 3" pipe and a decent size intercooler it will really help 350hp is a decent amount of fuel i dont think a hx40 would really cut it when towing i mean you could do it but i think you would get sick of the high egt's really fast???

Back