thinking about 6.0L

Pos Dodge

Alright fellas im thinking about going to the darkside and getting a 6L. What are some of the things i need to look for when buying a used one? The dodge is gone and was thinking about switching back to the ol ford. Thanks for any replies.

Your best bet is probably going to be an 05 or newer truck. Ford seemed to have most of the issues fixed by then.

Get an OAISIS report before any purchase

I would agree with nummit. Get an oaisis report on the truck you are looking at. As he stated 05 and newer BUT if you find an 03-04 you can tell from the oasis report if its had all the most recent updates done. These trucks are reliable trucks with exception to the injectors and head gaskets which the EGR cooler delete will fix most of the HG failure issues. As far as the injectors some guys go through them like oil butter and some haven't had any issues since they went to the updated injectors. Recommendations are synthetic oil is better for the injectors and HPOP.

What are your intentions with the truck?

I had a buddies truck in the shop last week that was an 03 that had a knocking, excessive black smoke and a obvious miss. He bought it used with 60,000 and now it has 120,000 miles. The IDS said #3,5,7 missfires and a turbo boost code with no CEL ON AT ALL. We put 4 new injectors in and long story short didnt fix it. #5 was fixed but 3 and 7 were no change. It was blowing oil out the dipstick tube so we decieded to let the dealership get into this guys pockets, and he needs a new motor. $10,000 dollars for a new motor. Buy a late model if you can, but **** happens with these things. I know cause i bought a new 03 and it was in the shop every other week for 11 months. Dont put all your faith in the oasis reports. This guy had one too. Not wanting to scare you but just a warning. Tim

Thats a good point illinoisram. you cant put your faith in the OASIS but you can get an idea of what has been done.

Its hit or miss. A good friend of mine bout an 03 dodge with 100k on it and 1 month after he bout it put a hole through the block. 12k new motor. Now I know this is not common at all infact this never happens on any diesel for that matter.

Not starting any arguments but when you buy a truck its hit or miss. I have an 03 and had 6 injectors replaced. No other issues since I have owned it. The previous owner had injectors done within 2500 miles but this was before the updated parts came into play. There was also a turbo replaced at 3500 but I doubt it needed that done. Some will be problematic and others will not. Its the same for all companies. There is no perfect truck.

I now have 77k on it and its still running great. If I were to do it now I would look for a newer truck. Maybe even a Fodge but I bought a Ford not a powerstroke. I like the Fords overall for there body and chassis they just need to have a Cummins from the factory. Dodge has it hands down when it comes to there engine with Cummins.

When I bout mine they were like gold so I paid more for mine. Hell 06 and 05 trucks were selling for 33-37k with 50-70k on them. So when I found mine for 24k with 50k on it it was a no brainer.

You get what you get and hope for the best. All in all you really should not have an issue buying any of the trucks from 03 to now seeing how they have had 6 years to update and by now most of the intro 6.0L trucks have had the updates done.

Back