Thinking about making my own EGR delete for a 97' tdi

cumminz90

Cant leave um alone
I just run across an early 97' VW Passat TDI. Engine code Z1 if it matters. Anyways I was in the middle of cleaning the intake and doing the timing belt today and I noticed how easy it would be to get rid of the EGR cooler and block it off. To me it looks like all I need to do is block the exhaust manifold with a plate, intake manifold with a plate, and connect the coolant hoses. The question is in my state running it through inspection the check engine light can't be on. Would doing this set the check engine light off? To me it looks like there are no sensors anywhere on the EGR system besides on the vacuum line, if I leave that hooked up would it set a code? Also the car was rather sluggish on the low end, any idea why? Is there anything I can do to pep it up mechanically (or adjustments that can be made) without putting the engine in any danger? Thanks in advance. :rockwoot:

I just run across an early 97' VW Passat TDI. Engine code Z1 if it matters. Anyways I was in the middle of cleaning the intake and doing the timing belt today and I noticed how easy it would be to get rid of the EGR cooler and block it off. To me it looks like all I need to do is block the exhaust manifold with a plate, intake manifold with a plate, and connect the coolant hoses. The question is in my state running it through inspection the check engine light can't be on. Would doing this set the check engine light off? To me it looks like there are no sensors anywhere on the EGR system besides on the vacuum line, if I leave that hooked up would it set a code? Also the car was rather sluggish on the low end, any idea why? Is there anything I can do to pep it up mechanically (or adjustments that can be made) without putting the engine in any danger? Thanks in advance. :rockwoot:

Yes deleting the EGR & Cooler will set a check engine light off on your car unless you get a tuned chip for the ECM.

There are several companies that offer tunes for these cars, I was fortunate enough to pick up a used one on TDIclub. Generally they all cost the same no matter which company you go with $300 for stages 1, 2, or 3. However TDTuning offers a little price break in the different stages, and I have heard good things about them on TDI club.

Here's a link to TDTuning Passat Chips

My sig doesn't have enough room for all my car mods but my Jetta has a EGR & cooler delete, Sprint 520 nozzels, Cat delete/straightpipe, and is getting a Alligator Performance chip soon. I'm actually taking it to a TDI guru tomorrow in Versailles, KY for a Timing Belt, inj pump seals, & possibly a frost heater (VW equiv block heater)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and the link. Guess ill go on and do it anyway and just get the ecm tuned has to help the mileage i would think. With all that is done to your car did the mileage go up or down? And hows your clutch liking those mods i assume yours is a 5 speed?

Well once I ironed out a little timing issue the best I've gotten so far was 38mpg. However, my chip is not installed yet and I had reprogrammed the ECM to lower the EGR cycle which I have heard retards timing as well. I forgot to reverse that process with my computer before I attempted some pump seal replacements and now it wont start and is on a trailer to go to KY in the morning LoL

Clutch is fine with current power with Injectors....once the chip goes in I'm going to keep my fingers crossed..can't afford a new clutch for it right now. LOL

On another note 38 mpg seems a bit low to me. My family has a total of five of them they seem to all average around 48-53 the 53 being had by my pops who drives like a grandpa (his car never sees over 2000 rpm when hes shifting it lol) . Delaware is pretty flat were im at so im sure that helps.

On another note 38 mpg seems a bit low to me. My family has a total of five of them they seem to all average around 48-53 the 53 being had by my pops who drives like a grandpa (his car never sees over 2000 rpm when hes shifting it lol) . Delaware is pretty flat were im at so im sure that helps.

It is...I was still ironing out issues, but now the pump has appearently crapped out on me according to the TDI expert I took it to today. Maybe it had been on its way out, who knows?

I'll be calling my local Bosch shop tomorrow and seeing what they will charge me to give it a look over. Probably not much hopefully since I know 2 of the boys real well. If not then I'll just be getting a used pump somewhere I guess need to get this car back on the road as quickly and cost effectively as possible.:kick:

Just a tune on a higher mileage stock clutch will kill it, as for replacing them, they aren't hard, just a pain getting the tranny in and out.

Just a tune on a higher mileage stock clutch will kill it, as for replacing them, they aren't hard, just a pain getting the tranny in and out.

You have an A4 new body style Jetta, according to some of the guys on TDIclub they are very easy to do clutches on. My older A3 is more of a PITA...I'm not fooling with it when the time comes. :bang

The chip I'm waiting to install on top of my nozzels has 2 settings, economy and performance....it will never get turned on performance until there's a SB clutch in it. ;)

Thanks for the info Billysgoat figured a chip would do the clutch in and got smoke sorry to hear about your pump hope you get it all straightened out

Thanks for the info Billysgoat figured a chip would do the clutch in and got smoke sorry to hear about your pump hope you get it all straightened out

Got the pump swap/Timing belt straightened out...installed the alligator chip I had waiting...each tank gets me better and better mileage. First tank was 41, sencond 42, today was 44...:rockwoot:

deleting egr raises egt.

just so you know.

I've never heard this?