thoughts on using aluminum for a girdle plate?

What are your thoughts on using aluminum for a 1" thick girdle plate?

I met with a guy recently that does this for all types of tractors and never had an issue.

Would there be enough room for clearance of the cross member for the oil pan on a cummins when used in a dodge? I know there isn't much room as it is with no girdle at all. Unless the girdle was made to be inside the pan instead of tighed in with the oil pan rails it may work, but then again would there be enough room inside the front of the pan? Never measured any of the two, so I'm just rough guessing.

Last edited:
What forum did I put this in? :poke:

engine girdle plate.

Crossmember would be notched to clear it. The pan would then mount to the girdle plate.

What forum did I put this in? :poke:

engine girdle plate.

Crossmember would be notched to clear it. The pan would then mount to the girdle plate.

I don't read sometimesLOL.

Other than weight savings what advantages over a steel one?

not sure what the advantage is......probably a more expensive chunk of billet compared to steel plate

it wont rust!!!

Not picking on you, but you do know that "billet" is not a metal don't you. Billet can be any metal, steel, aluminum, magnesium, carbide... Billet just means "bar of metal" or "out of one piece." Like a billet block is made out of 1 piece of aluminum.

Not picking on you, but you do know that "billet" is not a metal don't you. Billet can be any metal, steel, aluminum, magnesium, carbide... Billet just means "bar of metal" or "out of one piece." Like a billet block is made out of 1 piece of aluminum.

dude with all due respect, your a fricken d bag, what is your point.....

he said he wanted to make a girdle out of alluminum, what is he gonna weld the pieces together? no you jack wad he is machine it out of a solid hunk of alluminum, most commonly referred to as a billet

standard steel would just be plate, nobody says im ordering a billet of steel, they would say im gettin some 1" plate, or 1/2" plate, or 3/16" plate.

i thought this was compd, what is everyones deal with being so politically correct, just to say i am e smater than you, when i didnt say anything wrong in the first place. i guess i just took for granted common knowledge so people like you could throw a zing in there

and jesse, im still trying to figure out the advantages to this.....strength should be the same at that thickness, but isnt machine time longer?

Last edited:
If he's been doing it for all types of tractors without issue, he probably has done his homework on the thickness to be comparable to a carbon steel or chromoly girdle, but that's just a guess.

To state the obvious - I don't know what this thing might cost, but I would expect there to be additional cost for longer studs...I don't think that the "standard extra long main studs" would work with that extra 0.250". $.02

What are your thoughts on using aluminum for a 1" thick girdle plate?

I met with a guy recently that does this for all types of tractors and never had an issue.

Much more popular with alcohol tractors, but the 5.9L has low bob weight compared to a 466CI. I don't see an issue with it.

he said he wanted to make a girdle out of alluminum,

Actually he said aluminum.

Aluminum girdle's make good oil pan spacers.

The girdle's I've made I've machined them out of a 1" steel plate by hand on the mill. Not fun. Aluminum would have obviously been way easier, but not worth it in my opinion. I know a guy that makes quite a few aluminum tractor girdles most of them go on 400-550 CID 2000 rpm gas n/a engines that are a bad azz if they make 300 hp.
Never thought it was a good plan to skimp on something vital, have a failure as a result, spend a bunch of money to fix, and still need to invest in that first issue to be back where you should have been in the beginning.

................Never thought it was a good plan to skimp on something vital, have a failure as a result, spend a bunch of money to fix, and still need to invest in that first issue to be back where you should have been in the beginning.

I think this hit the nail on the head!

I could see the weight savings being beneficial in a drag car, but in a puller the extra weights isn't in a bad location really.

Coming from a machining background.... Using the word billet is a sure sign you have no machining or engineering background (putting it nicely). Using that word in certain environments is a sure sign you lack understanding of the materials and processes that go into making ****.

Coming from a machining background.... Using the word billet is a sure sign you have no machining or engineering background (putting it nicely). Using that word in certain environments is a sure sign you lack understanding of the materials and processes that go into making ****.[/QUOTE

So my billet titanium turbo cell phone might be a advertising gimmick?

So my billet titanium turbo cell phone might be a advertising gimmick?

Titanium colored billet plactic! LOL