thoughts on using aluminum for a girdle plate?

cheese and rice all i was stating was that the piec of 1" 6061 thick aluminum would be more expensive than a36 steel, about 30% more actually

We used 1 1/2 7075 on the IH DT super stock motors but are going to 5/8 steel Im thinking of 1/2 on my 5.9

cheese and rice all i was stating was that the piec of 1" 6061 thick aluminum would be more expensive than a36 steel, about 30% more actually

The material would cost more but unless you're getting it as a burnout, plate for plate we could machine the aluminum one way faster so it cancels out some of the additional cost from a finished product standpoint. Chris

The material would cost more but unless you're getting it as a burnout, plate for plate we could machine the aluminum one way faster so it cancels out some of the additional cost from a finished product standpoint. Chris

Water jet, the best way

Many of the parts I make could be 6061 or A36 and material cost VS processes involved usually gives aluminum the advantage.

Just from a materials perspective, a steel girdle will be a lot stiffer (at equal section thicknesses) and will match the thermal expansion coefficient of the block better. If you're trying for absolute stability in the bottom end, I'd go steel/iron.

I don't think there's any advantage to using aluminum, but I'm sure an aluminum girdle is better than no girdle, so....horses for courses.

if jesse had a waterjet table i dont think he would have asked this question

if jesse had a waterjet table i dont think he would have asked this question

He maybe dont but there in the phone book. The cnc mill would to have 14x32.5 inch's of travel.Making it out of steel and water jet is by far the most cost effective. I'm in the process of doing now and just have to draw it up in master-cam hopefully I can send it out Friday.