Throttle Control Cable

WILD_PHIL

Driving home Friday night my throttle cable broke. Truck is equipped with Cruise Control and the piece that runs to the pump broke. I called the local Ram dealer and they said they no longer make it or sell it.

Can anyone help me out with finding this part?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I've also searched Google, eBay, and Amazon and can't find the direct replacement part.

so the linkage between the throttle bracket and pump broke?

i used 2 small heim joints and threaded rod for the linkage attached at each end with a #10 screw and lock nut.

if the throttle cable itself is broke and you are a member of cumminsforum.com contact member "loudhornsrule" i bought one from him a couple weeks back and he has more. good guy to deal with, cheap and fast.

cheers, justin.

Any chance you could show a picture of what you've done? I knew I'd be able to rig it up but was hoping it'd be easy to just buy it. I'm a member over there but can't log in or get a moderator to send me a password change.

Yes that's the part that broke. The cable slide in a piece of metal that's attached to the pump.

I believe I can split that piece of metal and solder the cable back on. There's about half an inch of cable hanging out of the plastic.

Be nice to know what year of truck you have so some of us can understand what you need.

Mark.

Sorry. 92 W250 LE with Cruise control.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-msf3/overview/

buy 2 of these and some 10-32 threaded rod (or do as I did and just thread the ends of some steel rod)

66B1BC01-A752-42E1-8FFE-48F028EC1C12_zpsn1xi65ay.jpg

He's after the CABLE, not the throttle linkage rod.
You've got some weird stuff going on there, in your pic.

Mark.

That's right mark. Because I have cruise control it does not go straight to the firewall. It leaves the pump and goes to a piece of plastic that has a break booster line on it. Then it leaves that plastic piece and goes through the firewall. Should have taken pictures of what I'm working with. I'm at work now.

It it's not a 1-piece cable, from the throttle bracket to the firewall, then you probably have an aftermarket cruise control set-up.
The OEM cruise module has a cable, with a long slot, that routes from it to the back of the throttle arm, where it is clipped in place with washers and hairpins.

Mark.

Last edited:
No chit. Well I guess I need to get pics of what I've got going on. I thought this was standard.

Here's a couple of pics.
First pic is of the cruise module and you can see how it is set up.
Second pic is of the throttle assembly area.
If you look, on the front side, you can see the small socket ball, which is for the throttle cable.
Looking at the backside of the arm, the TV cable slot rests on the backside of the arm, followed by a washer, then a hairpin, then the cruise cable, then a washer, then another hairpin.

Hope the pics are easy to understand.

Mark.

Attachments

• 0409171217_Burst01.jpg
    0409171217_Burst01.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0409171217a.jpg
    0409171217a.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
so the linkage between the throttle bracket and pump broke?

Yes that's the part that broke...

this was why i thought he was after the linkage.

He's after the CABLE, not the throttle linkage rod.
You've got some weird stuff going on there, in your pic.

Mark.

the "weird stuff" i'm assuming that you're referring to is the spring, i just stuck it down there to the kill lever so i didn't lose it. i was in the midst of building the truck. other than that, pretty standard:Cheer:

So that's the piece that broke. That cone shaped piece of plastic looks like what I'm referring to. It has a line that goes to the break booster. That's why I assumed it was part of the cruise control.

I circled the broke cable in blue.
c662c68315f737c99d009e32c4b43434.jpg

Ok, let's get some clarity here. If you have an automatic you should have 3 cables attached to the throttle bracket. 1. Throttle cable leading through the firewall to the go pedal, 2. TV cable to the transmission. 3. Cruise control cable(which loops under the booster and into the cruise module)

The cruise module also has a vacuum line running to the booster.

Take a very close look at what you have under the hood of your truck, take pictures if necessary, and tell us which of these is broken.

Edit: the cable you have circled is the cruise control cable

Last edited:
There's another thing I should have mentioned. It's a getrag.

Mark you were right. The cable from the pump goes straight to the firewall. The other cable goes to the CC. It's the throttle control cable that goes from the pedal to to pump that broke.

I think I have a '92-'93 accelerator cable in my stuff at the other place.
1992 and 1993 have a square hole in the firewall, '89-'91s have a round hole.

You can make an '89-'91 work in a '92-'93, by carefully drilling the square hole larger, to fit the round cable.

Mark.

In a pinch, I have taken the old cabling out and run a piece of baling wire through the cable housing and twisted the ends over their respective attachment points.
I ran a '96 with a VE engine this way for over a year after it broke on me in California on I-5, southeast of San Fran.

I was with a local guy in his '90 when it happened to him and he got pissed off at me for laughing about it. :hehe:
I then told him that story and asked him if he carried and baling wire. He just glared at me and fixed it. :D

If solid core cables are good enough for tractors and lawn mowers, they'll surely work to band aid a 1st gen for a while. :cool:

Just realize you might have to auger out the cable housing where the frayed cabling tore it up.
Baling wire works good for that, too. :D

Mark.

Back