Time involved for a fummins conversion??

MMiller

Getrag Preserver
Guys, I had a potential client approach me and asked me to remove a 6.0 out of an 03 F350, and he would like a common rail 5.9 installed in its place and make the Ford auto work. I'm not at all scared of the project, or being able to complete it, however from a business standpoint, I need a realistic labor quote to give the customer for this job. I have never done a Fummins conversion. I also understand on the first job that I will take longer then the 3rd or 5th job, and the first customer shouldn't pay more for that.

For you guys that have done Fummins projects, what would you quote the job at? I have a two post lift, overhead crane, welders, jacks, etc. I've been a diesel mechanic since I entered the job force in 1997, and in our shop, we build/modify a lot of our farm equipment.

Michael

The last one I did was on a 2002 f350 I had about 40 hrs in it. It was also a 6spd 4x4 had all parts there before PS came out

When I was going to have my 02 f250 converted to a 12v I was quoted between 10 to 18gs. 10g from one shop and 18gs from the other shop and they supply everything. But that was a 12v so not near the wiring.

Start at about 10k if they supply the engine, then goes up from there depending on what they want done to the engine.

120 hrs is about the norm to get everything working correctly.

It took us about 150hrs but we tore the block down and inspected the engine and resealed the entire thing before install. Very time consuming if you dont have your ducks in a row.

FYI, most guys have not had much luck getting the 5R110 to work behind a Cummins, you would most likely be better off using a Dodge auto.

Realistically you will have somewhere between 100 and 150 hours depending on the setup. I know i did as way back when i did mine there was not as many advertised parts so a lot of time was spent building custom stuff that you can just order now.

That is because they do gunshot tuning.

Could you elaborate? I don't follow. Overall, I like the 5R110, but from the people I have talked to, all with varying methods of controlling the tranny, it seems that at last 80% of them don't like it behind a Cummins.

They don't know how to tune clutch to clutch shifts, and are always using someone's else s bad file when they ask on the internet. These controllers are universal and you need to make your own file once the base file is loaded. It takes weeks to tweak it just right.

so once you're in the build 100-150hrs, you get to spend another 40-160hrs tuning the trans?

pass

Forrest has a point. Even if you could get it to work right, it still seems to me that it would be much more economical (on both a money and time basis) to just use a full Dodge driveline.

The ford TCM works great, all the factory shift strategies are still there as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I had a pcs and tuned for 2 months before it finally just burnt the clutch because of janky clutch to clutch tuning

Back