timeing with 370s

cumminsontheroc

ok when i changed my head gasket and put in my 12mm studs i also added some 370. ive had the 191dvs in my truck for a while. now when im at about 1/2 throtle under a load my truck shutters real bad! ive never even checked the timeing so i figured i would start there! any sugestions on where to set the timeing at?
101_3418.jpg

Do you have the specifics on the rest of your set up?

it s 96 auto 180 motor. has a 4kgsk, 191dvs, 370s, hx52, #0 plate, and no afc. and now in need of a new tranny!

I would say in the 17*-20* range. Anymore, and you might be getting outside of the bowl with the 370's. I have mine set at 20*

I'ved timed mine at 16* and it was super bo diddy. Can't imagine what they'd be like at stock timing. 18* was good, the stumble went away and very clean on cold mornings. Now I'm at 22* and I like it there the best. smoothest yet but hazes at idle when it's cold and has a slight haze under light throttle.

I recomend 18* for the faint of heart, and 22* for those that don't care if the head pops

Twisted Shifter said:
a lot of guys are going to middle to upper 20's with 370

:confused: Wow, I always thought the limit was like 17* and then the spray started to get outside the bowls?? (On a stock unplained head with thin washers and stock thickness gasket) :confused:

That is crazy, cool to know though...

I would put your AFC back on and tune it so you don't have too much fuel at a given RPM, when I had some 5x.017's they would stumble until I played with the AFC and it helped a lot.

I would say 17*-18* timing...