Timing, Degrees pros cons......

I assume you guys are going by plunger lift?

No, with the head off and a dial indicator, found tdc total float and split the difference. My ATI balancer has laser etched degrees so i know that my tdc is 190 according to the marks. My pump was benched and set at 30* so all i have to do is go to 190, pin the pump, pop the gear loose and bar the motor backwards in degree incraments to whatever i want or the other way if need be.

I assume you guys are going by plunger lift?

I have had mine at 34 on the light. with it 40 on the punger.
I have it at 30 and it is 24 on the light, I want to get it back to 28 -30 on the light.

I checked mine just before I took the pump off last weekend and it was 28 on the light and 34 by lift.

No, with the head off and a dial indicator, found tdc total float and split the difference. My ATI balancer has laser etched degrees so i know that my tdc is 190 according to the marks. My pump was benched and set at 30* so all i have to do is go to 190, pin the pump, pop the gear loose and bar the motor backwards in degree incraments to whatever i want or the other way if need be.

I should have been more clear Tim. I was trying to figure out if you guys were just going off where the pump was set at or if you were using a light to see where your timing is at the cylinders.

Mine is set at the plunger, but 5-6 degrees seems to be the normal variation between plunger lift and the timing light. The spray pattern on my injectors have been narrowed quite a bit from stock so I could go quite a bit more on timing before spraying out of the bowl.

I should have been more clear Tim. I was trying to figure out if you guys were just going off where the pump was set at or if you were using a light to see where your timing is at the cylinders.

My ,mistake I dont know for sure on the light part yet. We have the electronic pulse adapter half but not the light half yet. Need to do some more side jobs i guess. LOL

I have been all over the board 23*-38* and in between I think I have it narrowed down to low 30's.....
Brandon

I was just giving ya a hard time. Low 30's seem to be the norm here. I dont think mine will turn 5k down the track and that is what i want so i figured i would try 35*. Of course it might help if i had a tach. So far my truck only turns 4k:hehe:

going on sound alone, its hard to tell the difference in 5k and 4k, especially from inside the cab

Mine is set at the plunger, but 5-6 degrees seems to be the normal variation between plunger lift and the timing light. The spray pattern on my injectors have been narrowed quite a bit from stock so I could go quite a bit more on timing before spraying out of the bowl.

It varies on pop off presure and also dvs

going on sound alone, its hard to tell the difference in 5k and 4k, especially from inside the cab

This is true. my motor seems so quiet and smooth and the tach never comes down of 4k. In fact it will gain rpm once the tires bust loose but everybody say that mine dont sound like the other 4500+ trucks. Maybe its the exhaust, or the damper or something but i know it runs good. Tim

This is true. my motor seems so quiet and smooth and the tach never comes down of 4k. In fact it will gain rpm once the tires bust loose but everybody say that mine dont sound like the other 4500+ trucks. Maybe its the exhaust, or the damper or something but i know it runs good. Tim

i hear that...mine is smooth too.

$40 on ebay is what i paid for my V10 dash cluster, 6k tach now

im getting ready to p-pump mine soon..i will be running a 66mm charger with ddp comp 250's..what would be the ball park for timing?

im getting ready to p-pump mine soon..i will be running a 66mm charger with ddp comp 250's..what would be the ball park for timing?

On my truck when I have the DDP 250's in they are real smokey @ 22*, bad injector for daily driving. Anything over 22* and they bellow white smoke at idle. I wish someone made 24V injectors that would spray in the bowl with advanced timing for us p-pumped guys.

They do U just have to tell them , Scheid JL or Mike can make them how ever u want I know some who took a 6 hole and 3 were 12ths others were bigger kinda odd but thats what they wanted

I can get over 30 with mine thats by the light (35 pump) still usesn stock washers and b fine but yr low end suffers to much IMO it took twice as long for my charger to spool not good for mild street or drag

Back