timing with .093 /tubes

dsl kicks gas

Runnin on Broke
how much does .093 lines and tubes throw your timing off when using the port closer method? i have heard of guys being as much as 8-10 deg off when using a timing light vs the old school method. this is my first 24v p pump using .093 lines and tubes, last conversion i did i used stock size lines and tubes. i should get the pump back from the shop friday and just wanted a little insite befor i have to fight with it. and what does everybody like setting the 24v's at. is set most of the 12v's i do at 18.5 but the other 24v seemed to like 20.5-21 deg.

runnin the .093's on mine too and always about that. set the timing on mine at 16.5 degrees but pretty sure its aways from that.

I run .093" lines and tubes on mine and set mine @ 24* initially and havent had a chance to change it or play with it yet but it seems good to me.

Stock lines and tubes with my injectors at VP pop off and 20.5* timing. The way it starts cold I'd imagine I'm close to that. Probably a few degrees off.

Delivery valves also will affect timing, so that should also be considered.

yup but thats no different that a 12v, looks like it will be next weekend befor i get to finish the 99 i have to work this weekend:bang

i guess im going to end up buying a adaptor for my timing light.....is there any cheaper than the snap on? i already have a good timing light

Do a search for it. I've seen a couple different brands listed.

.084 lines with 191 DV's here. timed the truck at 30* back in october, 2 days later a snap on timing light confirmed that at idle my truck was firing at 30* BTDC

yup but thats no different that a 12v, looks like it will be next weekend befor i get to finish the 99 i have to work this weekend:bang

i guess im going to end up buying a adaptor for my timing light.....is there any cheaper than the snap on? i already have a good timing light
Ferret 765 Diesel Timing Adapter
Really like mine, works great.
Did have to update my timing light to a newer on though. Ended up getting a ferret light with advance knob which makes it nice checking timing. Just make you a timing tab, find TDC, mark balancer. Then when you check timing just turn knob until you hit TDC and what ever your dial reads is where your timing is at.
Also may add the timing light is a very nice piece, very bright and the clamp that normally goes on plug wire is probably the best i have seen.

Ferret 765 Diesel Timing Adapter
Really like mine, works great.
Did have to update my timing light to a newer on though. Ended up getting a ferret light with advance knob which makes it nice checking timing. Just make you a timing tab, find TDC, mark balancer. Then when you check timing just turn knob until you hit TDC and what ever your dial reads is where your timing is at.
Also may add the timing light is a very nice piece, very bright and the clamp that normally goes on plug wire is probably the best i have seen.

A timing light with the advance knob is awesome for checking timing. Eliminates having to mark out the degrees on the balancer. Used a friends light that had that, had to go buy one of my own.

i have been having problems timing the 99 and my 12v......come to find out my dial indicator is off.....5.8mm of lift ended up being 9.4-9.8.........i have been beating my head agenst the wall for the past week. i ended up sitting my 12v back to stock timming with the pin befor i found out the dial was out.

99- benched 215 pump, full cut dv's, 4k springs, ddp 150 hp injectors(p pump pressure), .093 lines, .093 tubes, and trying for 22*

98- 12v 180 pump, 191's, 4k springs, 5x.014 injectors, stock lines.

both trucks are hard starting and run real rough and wil not come off idle with free rev. like i said above my dial indicator is way off i dont have another dial that will fit my "pump holder" i used a reg dial indator to check my lift. im going to wait till monday to get a new indiator befor mess with them any more. could there be anything other than timing that would cause this?