Tim's Tranny 1 week later

Timbeaux

Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Been driving around on my new Garmon-Installed Suncoast for a little over a week now, and I could not be happier. the shifts are crisp and firm, and the throttle response went from "I'll think about it" to "Done Yesterday" :rockwoot:

I have found out that I need a set of traction bars, as wheel hop has become a bit of a problem. LOL The converter is great, No more trying to hunt for the right gear, and there is NO DOUBT when it is locked up. Even with a good bit of flogging, My mileage has improved by about 1MPG as well. I wish I had done this sooner. The truck is even fun to drive with all the fuel turned down. It is much more responsive. If you are considering holding off on tranny work to buy hotrod parts, DON'T:drool: - Do the tranny now...you will be glad you did. I fell like I gained a gozillion HP down low, cause the TC doesnt shudder and slip all over the place anymore... Besides, All the go fast parts on the planet dont mean jack unless you can put the HP down.

Last edited:
P.S. I'll stop talking about it for a while LOL

Oh ::bs:: you are not gonna shut about that tranny for a couple of months LOL LOL

What stall converter did you get? Glad it's working out for you so well! Maybe one day I'll have one.

That's awsome Tim. I know I love mine. You are correct though in that the truck is just more fun to drive in ALL of the gears yet will not give up as you really beat on it.

I can't wait to see how your converter is compared to mine with the 24v vs the 12v.:Cheer:

But you also have me thinking of a dyno test I should do. I ran my truck a long time ago in 2nd, 3rd, 3rd locked and 4th locked and compared the graph. I should do the same before and after a tranny job. :aiwebs_028:

A back to back dyno test of a full tilt SunCoast vs Stock would be great!

I know when I got the finest SunCoast trans in my duallie I didn't want to stop driving it. It just begs for more!

TwiztedMetal said:
attaboy timmy :D...now do twins and injectors :evil

Dom
I'll second that Timmy! Remember, you should lead by example. You'll have to have a competing truck to be a leader on this site.:poke:

Peer pressure is a bad thing LOL
Tell you what, you guys talk my wife into it, and I'll Do it! LOL

After this one, I'm grounded from truck spending for a while LOL

idnt it tho? heh lets just say im very excited and my business card is melted LOL

Dom

p.s. Timmy...if you do twins and injectors...you'd be my hero LOL

got mine up and running yesterday, All I can say is WOW!!!!!!
I love it, now i know why everyone says its the best mod they have done so far.

I gained 5lbs of boost. You have to be carefull now the converter is so tight it will just roll the coal!!!!!!!

un-boosted launch after converter and trans rebuild:rockwoot:

Attachments

• smokie3.jpg
    smokie3.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 17
  • smokie4.jpg
    smokie4.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
timbeaux, which convertor did you go with? the new five disk? i welded my forward clutches on my year old ATS and they want $2600 to make it not happen again so i am having Mike L do a rebuild for me and i am thinking of switching back to the suncoast convertor i had before. It was the tightest one they made as of 2.5 years ago. Thinking of having it refurbed to a five disk. Anyone have any suggestions?

I can only say this..... when that 5 disc locks up, the torque transfer to the wheels is:bow: :bow: :bow: Back when I purchased mine from Joe @ Suncoast, there were only 4 in the country, mine being the 4th.....