To Billet Interm or not to billet interm?

tatkins85

So ive been told by lots of people that if you building your tranny then build the ENTIRE tranny including the interm shaft. But then I get a bunch more people telling me to keep the stock interm because it gives it leeway to twist and bend a little without braking? So what should I do here? Get a billet interm shaft or not? Who with high hp is not running with one and who is running with one?

I ran around with a stock one for ever plus my grandmah drives harder than you do I think youll be ok with a stock.

I twisted mine in half with my lock up switch at only 590+ hp...

I went full billet after that !! No problems since with many passes and TC locks in 2nd gear....

Of course we'll see how that works at around 750+ hp very soon....

I ran around with a stock one for ever plus my grandmah drives harder than you do I think youll be ok with a stock.

lmao. its true but ill be going to the track allot once i get everything installed.
and with all the *nx*:nos:*nx*:nos: i need what is going to work best not what i get by with.

I think its dumb not to do a full billet trans. If u leave the intermidate shaft stock and it breaks u just lost 6k. Id leave the output stock if anything

I heard it takes out alot. Thats just what i have been told or maybe they just wanted to make more money LOL

I know the input usually trashes the converter and the pump... output is pretty harmless... the intermediate will mess some stuff up I'm sure, but it's also the strongest of the three. If you're not planning on sleds or high boost launches, I wouldn't call it necessary.

if you've got a light 2wd, I wouldn't call it necessary

when I broke mine it took out alot but also I saw 2 other trans break them and caused no damage.Just do a billet thomas I know youre going to end up doing something stupid at one point. You coming out this way anytime soon thomas?

The stories seem to change whether you are running a 47/48re or a 47rh too. I have heard the rh shafts are a little stronger. I run a stock intermediate and output. But I am also 2wd and fairly light.

I believe Dave's thoughts were it's a toss up honestly, the billet is prone to breaking during towing more so then the stock and the stock at the track more so then the billet but both have broken in both situations. I have a stock intermediate in mine, hopefully that wasn't a mistake.

It's a really tuff call, I know alot of people run sub 11's with stock intermidiate including myself and some have broken them including myself but when I broke mine it was an accident doing a 4x4 launch with a real loose converter and accidently hitting the lock up switch before 2nd gear @ 700hp.

And when I broke mine it broke in the very front splines about 2" in and for some reason I still had reverse and drove the truck home in reverse 3 milesLOL. And it did not tear up anything else.

So thats my experience with intermediate shafts.

I have a Billet Opie intermediate now.

Brett

I think its dumb not to do a full billet trans. If u leave the intermidate shaft stock and it breaks u just lost 6k. Id leave the output stock if anything

Leave the stock output?? If you plan on doing boosted launches or racing and you leave that stock output in there *bang* is what your gonna hear. I broke my stock output with less than 400hp doing a 4wd boosted launch. My stock intermediate shaft was just fine. There is no way in hell will a do a boosted launch in 4wd with what my truck has now. :badidea:

My intermediate just broke on the second pass.. I'm really wishing I had done it right the first time now.. The stock output lived, the intermediate failed. I'm going all billet now.. My truck still has reverse as well.. Mine is a 47rh..

when I broke mine it took out alot but also I saw 2 other trans break them and caused no damage.Just do a billet thomas I know youre going to end up doing something stupid at one point. You coming out this way anytime soon thomas?

Billet interm it is then. Probably sometime in Feb ill be back down. Any hopefully sometime in the next year I will move back. Idaho sucks, it’s to cold lol.

for some reason I still had reverse and drove the truck home in reverse 3 milesLOL. And it did not tear up anything else.

Brett

That's some weird chit , Huh??

Mine did the same thing!! a BIG "POW" and then nothing....But still had reverse!!! I was able to get it backed up and out of the road enough for the tow truck to come get me!!!!:bang

Mine even backed up on the trailer.. As soon as I can get back to Wrongway's, we're pulling it out and it's going to Garmon for the "everything" package..

Mine even backed up on the trailer.. As soon as I can get back to Wrongway's, we're pulling it out and it's going to Garmon for the "everything" package..

Man!!! You are in for a TREAT!!!!

:rockwoot:

nice choice! i wish i did a billet intermediate shaft, i stayed with a stock one because i was getting impaitent, but other then the intermediate shaft,my transmission is built as they come. im gonna have the suncoast dealer that built my tranny add a billet intermediate shaft in before i go to the track in the spring time, i don't want to leave any weak links.

I TKO'd the whole sheeeebam when my intermediate went. Took out the case even.

Like a bomb!