To cam or not to cam????

BlOwInCoAl

I have been waiting to do my P pump swap because the cam I wanted is on back order. But since it has been on back order I have been doing some more research and I have been getting multiple answers. I will be keeping my truck mostly stock for now, but I do want that room to upgrade if later down the road I decide to. I have also been told that with any cam you have to absolutely must have to do valve springs, well I don't have the money for both right now, but since I will have the cam out for the swap I would rather do that now rather than having to pull everything back apart later.

Can someone give me a straight answer: Do I have to do springs with an upgraded cam if I keep RPM's stock?

Also: I am looking into the Helix, Colt, or MaxSpool II camshafts, but which one would work best for me?

if i was you i would call up hamilton diesel directly and get a drop in cam from him. you don't need the springs unless you are going to be running alot of rpms which will cause the valves to float and contact the pistons. since you have the came out i would say just do it. also look around as well some guys are selling cams used a little cheaper. i have a HD cam up for sale.

Don't rule out Diesel Pro's Cams. There are alot of very satisfied Diesel Pro's Customers.

This is in no way a slight to any of the others mentioned.

So will I be ok with not running springs with any brand cam if I keep the RPM's at stock and then later on if I want to go bigger then I would do springs and fueling upgrades?

So will I be ok with not running springs with any brand cam if I keep the RPM's at stock and then later on if I want to go bigger then I would do springs and fueling upgrades?

yeah you will be fine since you are only going to be running a drop in cam and not fly cutting the pistons. the springs are really just to keep the valves from hanging open when the rpms are higher. due to the larger amount of lift the acceleration of the valves is higher and with higher rpms they can tend to float and stay open longer than desired.

Don't rule out Diesel Pro's Cams. There are alot of very satisfied Diesel Pro's Customers.

This is in no way a slight to any of the others mentioned.

I agree call Bill It will be the best move you make.

what do you mean by drop in cam? what would happen if I do max out the rpms with a aftermarket cam with stock springs?

what do you mean by drop in cam? what would happen if I do max out the rpms with a aftermarket cam with stock springs?

Give any of the mentioned cam guys a call. You will need to be honest with your projected build in the future as far as upgrades so they can properly advise you on the cam you will need.

drop in cam means that you don't have to fly cut the pistons to allow for valve to piston clearance due to higher lift profiles. if you max out your rpm's with a aftermarket cam and stock springs you have a greater chance that your valves will float and cause piston to valve contact which is a really, really bad thing.

I was told with the helix2 that stock valve springs are fine for stock rpms. I don't know if any of the competition has offered this, but the h2 cam has a lobe to push a 12v style mechanical lift pump. I bought a cummins pump with the cam and that sucker puts out 40 psi at idle, 50+ at cruise even with 1/2 lines. I hated all the issues with the stupid electric pumps on these trucks.

The only reason I do not want to do springs is because I do not have the money for them right now, if I had the money they would be ordered already, but it would be much easier to do springs later down the road than a cam.

Can someone give me some websites for dealers with cams, I have been doing google searches and they come up with next to nothing

There are a few websits but there really is not much info on the cams.Call Bill at diesel pros. It will be the best phone call you make. Bill knows his ****. If RacinDuallie did not get you his number I can pm it to you.

My Colt/Hamilton cam has the LP lobe as well.

Good info. When I asked myself the same question as the original poster, "To cam or not to cam" it was the lift pump issue that decided it for me.

yeah, ran out of money and am still driving the same old combo. Good thing I built for longevity LOL

well i'll tell you this i went from a h2 cam to a HD big stick cam with out changing anything else on the motor and could notice the difference the turbo spooled faster and the egt's dropped another 100 degrees.