tons of black smoke

jesnic

I have a searched all through many forums databases and have nothing that is mimicking my truck problems. I Stopped and filled up my truck at a filling station that I have never been to before. I drove for the rest of that day, truck ran great. The next morning I started it and it idled like normal. I took off and when it reached about 2000 rpm and 22 lbs of boost, it would sputter and choke out. Fuel pressure at idle= 22, at 2000 rpm=13. I drove it home, changed the fuel filter and same thing. I let it sit until the following morning. Turned key, allowed fuel pump to run for 30 seconds and saw 22 lbs. Started it and maintained 22 lbs, but it sputtered and bellowed out black soot and smoke (like a coal train), at idle. I tried to give it a little throttle, it just sputtered more (like running on 2 or 3 cylinders and really blew out the soot. Shut it down, completely removed the comp box, returned smarty to stock setting. Started again and the same crap. All this time, no CEL or codes at all.

Definately filled with diesel. Checked receipt later to calm my nerves. I pulled the injectors and could not see any cracks. I also pulled the injection pump and shipped both to the supplier for further investigation.

Heck, if need a new pump or injectors are bad, so be it. I had to do something. I don't have a $100K Bosch test bench. So what the heck, give it the people who do and let them figure it out. Removing the injection system on a vp truck is not that hard. I will order some new o rings for the connecting tubes, o rings for the banjo bolts or maybe just remove em and order a big line kit for the pump. Also will pull and clean the MAP sensor while it easy to get to.

one more vote

Cracked nozzle.

Just pull the injectors and get them checked.

I am hoping for just a cracked a nozzle. Maybe I should order a spare set of sticks. I sold my 90hp sticks, wish I hadn't.