Top Feed 24 Valve

Peterson

Well i have been playing around with the lathe and came up with this.

Injector is one from a 12 valve 8.3 and the adapter isnt done yet.

Im going to make a hold down for the adapter something like what the common rails use. Now for the injector hold down, im going to be using the 12 valve 5.9 nut. Im goin to machine in the groove for the little spring wire type thing on the 12 valve injector.

So thoughts and or opinions?

Not saying it is bad, I don't know much about the 8.3 injectors. If they are the same size as a 5.9 12V injector, I think I would have put the effort into a different injector. the returns could be challenging as well.

Looks like a cool idea though.

The reason i want to use this stye of injector is that it will fit into a stock head without moding the head itself. The 8.3 injectors are pretty much the same as a 12 valve injector, just longer. For the return line, im goin to run a stock 12 valve return line. The banjo's are spaced correctly and are the same size.

The reason i want to use this stye of injector is that it will fit into a stock head without moding the head itself. The 8.3 injectors are pretty much the same as a 12 valve injector, just longer. For the return line, im goin to run a stock 12 valve return line. The banjo's are spaced correctly and are the same size.

I don't think there is alot of gain for a 12V injector over the 24V. What I mean as far as the returns, is it will probably be a pain, unless you put the banjo bolts on the outside of the valve cover. How close will it be to the valve train?

They will be about the same distance from the valve train as what the CR injectors are. Also with my CR head with the runner manifold, its a really pain in the ass to change injectors.

I don't think there is alot of gain for a 12V injector over the 24V. What I mean as far as the returns, is it will probably be a pain, unless you put the banjo bolts on the outside of the valve cover. How close will it be to the valve train?

Agree with this.
Cool project but I wouldn't expect much gains.

from phone

I'm just wondering what the valve cover would look like....would the valve cover go on then the injectors go in?

I'm just wondering what the valve cover would look like....would the valve cover go on then the injectors go in?

Injectors in, then hook up returns feed them through valve cover, then valve cover over, then grommets or ?? for injectors through valve cover, then injector feed lines.

It is a royal pain in the butt.

Something like this...
[ame="http://s460.photobucket.com/user/17cumminsboy/media/topfeed_zps211e2a9c.jpg.html"]topfeed_zps211e2a9c.jpg Photo by 17cumminsboy | Photobucket[/ame]
But with only one return line out the cover.

Got to make a injector extender that goes on top of the injector itself and sticks up about 2". Still got more planning to do.

Problem I see with it is if the return line leaks, you'll never know until your crank case fills with fuel. The banjos can be a PITA sometimes if the injector rotates in the bore. How do the d-max's do their return?

But thats the problem with all top feed injectors though. lol Perhaps i could find a fitting that would thread into the injector return and go to a JIC or AN fitting.

Why not just make a whole new body instead of modifing something to work and use what ever nozzle you want.

My lathe is to wore out to do anything with any precision. It would be nice if i had the money to buy a new lathe but i dont. Also using these injectors, i will be able to use any performance 24 valve nozzle on the body. I wont be using this body that i have now because it only has the 12mm thread for the line on top. Its just for mock-up. I want to get eveything to fit and work good before i go spending more money on it.

In this project so far i got about 60-70 bucks in the correct drill, reamer and cutting tools. I got to go to the local Case IH dealer and see if he has a set of 8.3 injectors sitting around that i could get from him.

Well i finally found a set of 6.7 injector hold downs. Got one of the adapters made for it to fit.

[ame="http://s460.photobucket.com/user/17cumminsboy/media/IMG_20130608_125532_zps3d06cea9.jpg.html"]IMG_20130608_125532_zps3d06cea9.jpg Photo by 17cumminsboy | Photobucket[/ame]

I got a idea for the injector hold down itself, but looking for a better/easier one. Any idea's?

Make your adapter two piece. Lower piece is the sleeve. Machine it right to the height of the spring wire on the injector after the seal washer has been crushed, plus a couple thou. Top piece would be a horseshoe shape to slide down the injector body and clear your return line tube. Then the 6.7 hold down can compress the horseshoe piece down on top of the spring wire to push the injector onto the crush washer.

Or ditch the welded on return line, and use the two piece idea without the notch for the return, or go back to the 12v retaining nut like you originally proposed.

Back